Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tightness of slide/frame and barrel/slide?

RNA

Hey guys, i was just wondering how tight your slide/frame and barrel/slide fit should be. I have a Stock 3 with a tiny bit of wiggle on both fitments. Is this normal? Full disclosure: i did have the entire gun np3'd at Robar, but I've read that the np3 process doesn't change the dimensions measurably. It's accurate as all get out, but seems like the fitments would otherwise decrease ultimate accuracy.

PS 1,000th EAA forum topic on Enos! Woohoo!

The frame to slide fit has always been slopy on all of the EAA/Tanfo guns I have owned. The barrel lockup has been solid though. All of my guns have been very accurate regardless of sloppy frame to slide fit. Sloppy frame to slide fit on an Iron Sight gun really isn't a big deal. On an Open gun where the optic mount is bolted to the frame, a slopy frame to slide fit would probably make a significant accuracy issue.

My Match was nice and tight when I bought it and its still pretty good, but the slide to frame fit has loosened while the barrel to slide fit is still tight. This surprised me because I don't have anywhere near the round count through it of a lot of the guys on this forum.

The trigger/sear and the plunger/stirrup (or whatever its called) get an oil, everything else gets SFL-0 grease and I clean it and relube after each shooting session (usually 300 rounds or so). So the slide/frame interfaces get the same treatment as the slide/barrel contact surfaces. Just more friction between the slide/frame?

I've noticed the slide and frames have machining marks on the contact surfaces, which seem to wear down as the gun breaks in.

A little bit of movement shouldn't hurt accuracy, since the slide meets the frame at just below the bore axis. So any slop in the slide isn't magnified by the bore being much higher than the frame rails like on a 1911 or a Sig.

one reason the tanfoglio design is I believe superior to the 19/2011 design is the length of the slide to frame rail contact area, on a 19/2011 the frame rails are only a couple of inches long, on the Tanfoglio the are the full lenght of the frame and dust cover, on the full dust cover models the frame rails are well over twice the length of the rails on a 19/2011 therfore in order to limit the amount of missalignment allowed between the frame and slide the 19/2011 must be fitted much tighter.

Mike

one reason the tanfoglio design is I believe superior to the 19/2011 design is the length of the slide to frame rail contact area, on a 19/2011 the frame rails are only a couple of inches long, on the Tanfoglio the are the full lenght of the frame and dust cover, on the full dust cover models the frame rails are well over twice the length of the rails on a 19/2011 therfore in order to limit the amount of missalignment allowed between the frame and slide the 19/2011 must be fitted much tighter.

Mike

I think that reasoning makes sense on paper. But it doesn't parlay into real life examples.

I don't think there are many issues with 1911 accuracy. There are plenty of loose and rattling 1911's out there that shoot one big ragged hole. My dad's old Colt GI is a tack driver. I would agree that my 1911's are a little tighter than my Match. But if both designs function flawlessly and are accurate, it boils down to tomato/tomatto.

Perhaps there are a lot of "loose and rattling" pistols out there that shoot one big ragged hole. Personally I haven't seen any. I think CHA-LEE is correct that the slide to barrel fit is more important for accuracy than the slide/frame fit on an iron sighted pistol. So maybe what you're calling "loose and rattling" are poorly fitted slide to frame guns with well fitted barrel to slides.

I had a early S&W Model 59 which truly was loose and rattling and it wouldn't shoot better than six inch patterns off a sandbag at 25 yards. I came close to giving up on handguns because that pistol convinced me I couldn't shoot. I think I gave it to a guy I didn't like. :devil:

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Slide to frame fit was what I was discussing, in response to the quoted post.

I've shot several 1911's that were very accurate even though they were somewhat loose. This has been discussed in magazines and forums ad nauseum. There is a pretty common consensus that accuracy has no correlation to a gun that rattles a little bit. It may spray them all over the place, or it may be a damn straight shooter.

Is the tiniest bit of play between the barrel and the muzzle face normal for Tanfos? I can faintly feel movement when I apply finger pressure, but it moves so little I can't even really see the movement. By the way, there is zero movement when I try pushing down on the barrel hood in the locked position. Thanks in advance!

I just bought a comped P9 .40 slide. When I put it on my Witness frame it fits nice but seems tighter then my other three slides, it racks fine just seems tighter then I'm used to. Is this normal and should it ware down over use, or should the slide and frame be send to a smith to properly fit the two. It seems to dry fire and function fine just tight.

My two standard P9's and my friends stock three havs some play, my Witness frame and LSP slide are a perfect fit (smithed) and now my EAA with this comped slide is tighter then all of them.

Cheers,

Evan

• 1 year later...