Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black vs. plated CZ 9mm magazines

Andreas

Has anyone found the black SP01 or plated 17-round 9mm magazines to have an advantage over the other? Only problem I've had with the black ones is the base pad coming loose when they're dropped on the ground.

Sometimes the black ones rust a little easier. If your base pad is coming off or getting bent (like the ones that come with the factory 16rd mags) buy the rubber base pads, they keep your mags from getting banged up and they stay in place.

Oddly, my chrome-plated magazines appear to have come with stiffer springs than my black SP01 ones. I got in a set of +10% springs for the latter and will see if the added tension helps keep the base pads in place while practicing this weekend. All kinds of detritus gets into the magazines when the base pads loosen up.

The rubber base pads look like a good option. I didn't know about them.

Thanks for all the comments. I hadn't thought about the corrosion aspect since all my other firearms use aluminum, polymer, or plated magazines. I'll stick with plated CZ magazines on future orders.

When I ordered my CZ about 3 months ago it came with 2 plated mags and I orderd 6 more. I then purchased 2 of the black mags. IMO, the plated mags seem to be smoother when reloading/dropping a mag. It may be mental but it just seems that way to me.

I use the black ones as my LAMR mag and in my 1st mag pouch. I do that since they have the thicker base plate and, since they get dropped the most, they stand up to the abuse better. I do like the plated ones more though. YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have any rust issues with Mec Gar 17 rd blued (or whatever it is) mags. In fact, I have no issues at all with them. They're great mags. I wonder how long the springs will last... and sorry for the drift but can I use Wolf CZ replacement springs in the MecGar mags?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, rubber base pads fit the Czc nickel plated 17 rounders. To me they seemed more slippery than the factory black mags. The factory on my 75b came with metal base pads, which bent after a few tactical mag changes. I've got 4 extra 17 round mags from CZC if anyone is interested. I don't have the post cont for classifieds yet.