Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun shells with Winchester Super Handicap powder?

RiggerJJ

I have been using Universal Clays for my 1200fps 3gun load, but am quickly running out and can't find any right now, so... Just ordered some WSH, anyone have any experience with it in a 1 1/8 oz 1200fps load? Seems it is all I can find right now so it better work... :)

jj

I have been using Universal Clays for my 1200fps 3gun load, but am quickly running out and can't find any right now, so... Just ordered some WSH, anyone have any experience with it in a 1 1/8 oz 1200fps load? Seems it is all I can find right now so it better work... :)

jj

Got any Titegroup around? You can load 1-1/8 oz from 1090-1255 fps in 2 3/4" REMINGTON STS, NITRO 27, OR GUN CLUB PLASTIC SHELLS or 2 3/4" WINCHESTER COMPRESSION - FORMED AA & HS TYPE PLASTIC SHELLS

I used it for several years for all my 12GA clays ammo until I switched to Clays... STS hulls, NobelSport 209 primers, Titegroup, Downrange wads, and new or reclaimed ALR shot.

Published Hodgdon data available...

PS - Only reason I switched to Clays was to conserve my Titegroup stores for pistol...

PPS - There's also a TON of load data for WSH under 1-1/8 oz lead shot available at the Hodgdon data center...

Edited by cautery

Wudda got Clays if I knew it was available. Sending a text to ya Hoser.

Yea, I got all the data from Hodgdon and some other data books. I saw I could get 16 lbs of WSH online so I ordered it. Seemed the right thing to do at the time after looking at all the data. Seemed to be a pretty good load for my 3gun shootin loads.

Got jug of Clays, use it for skeet loads...saving my Tight group for 45cal.

Just was wondering if anyone used WSH for a 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps load...

jj

I find that the Winchester super handicap doesn't meter well in my adustable thrower. If I try to cycle the handle on the press too quickly I end up with a light load that doesnt eject the hull when shot. Other that that it's a great powder.

I load on a SL900 and have found the Winchester Supr Handicap powder to meter extremely well. +/- 0.1 gr.

Hodgdon has lots of good data for loads for this powder with all sorts of hull/wad combinations.

I will say that you should try a wad designed for 1 oz instead of one for 1-1/8. For example, the TGT12 wad & the Fig8 wad are interchangeable for each other and have the same height shot cup so the shot fits just fine. I found that I get better crimps with the TGT12 wad than the Fig8.