Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short load powder start help

leadhammer

Hi, I've measured my shadow to death for chamber length and its 1.09.

-.015. So I had dummy rounds loaded and crimped(lee dies) and manually cycled them through the gun and mag with no problems. The powder that I am using is N320. I've loaded 10 rounds at 3.8. Is this going to be a good starting point? I've looked all over and no recipes for my OAL.

If new, read a couple of manuals and learn what you are doing. I show a starting load for 124gn FMJ and N320 as 3.5gn at COL of 1.142. Your COL will raise pressure from that starting load. Reloading is NOT about guessing. It is about starting with the starting load and working up.

I know that the load you have has been accurate for others, but it "could" be max or over-max in your gun, particularly with a short COL.

If new, read a couple of manuals and learn what you are doing. I show a starting load for 124gn FMJ and N320 as 3.5gn at COL of 1.142. Your COL will raise pressure from that starting load. Reloading is NOT about guessing. It is about starting with the starting load and working up.

I know that the load you have has been accurate for others, but it "could" be max or over-max in your gun, particularly with a short COL.

Only new to 9mm

I have to guess somewhat. I am using a hollow point. Not just a FMJ. If nobody has a short load like I require, how without guessing can I even try? I don't know how much I should back off the powder for a given lenght. Is their a formula? I guess I was hoping somebody had a similar load that would help with my starting point that's all.

If I were you, I'd set the 3.8 loads aside for now and load ten each: 3.2, 3.4, 3.6 and crono those to get a baseline.

Thanks I think I will do that. Now I should watch for light loads that might stay in the barrel for the 3.2? I will shoot for 1040 fps or so eventually.

By saying "chamber length," do you mean that a longer COL will not chamber in your barrel?

COL should be a minimum of 1.075, so you are fine there. 1.100" is "sort of" a universal COL. All the data I have shows a longer COL.

I use a COL of 1.160" for my 121-124gn JHPs in my CZ-75s and other 9x19s.

You can start with the target as close as the range will allow and watch for holes. Personally, I have not had a bullet NOT exit the barrel at any velocity over 500 fps. Almost ANY amount of powder is enough to get the bullet out of a pistol barrel. The primer by itself is seldom enough, but even then it will generally drive the bullet about 25-50% of the way out the barrel.

By saying "chamber length," do you mean that a longer COL will not chamber in your barrel?

COL should be a minimum of 1.075, so you are fine there. 1.100" is "sort of" a universal COL. All the data I have shows a longer COL.

I use a COL of 1.160" for my 121-124gn JHPs in my CZ-75s and other 9x19s.

You can start with the target as close as the range will allow and watch for holes. Personally, I have not had a bullet NOT exit the barrel at any velocity over 500 fps. Almost ANY amount of powder is enough to get the bullet out of a pistol barrel. The primer by itself is seldom enough, but even then it will generally drive the bullet about 25-50% of the way out the barrel.

Thanks for the help. Chamber length was determined from the slip fit method done 30 times. I'm used to reloading my .270, and measuring from base to ogive, but this does not seem to be done for 9mm? I'm sure I could load them out a bit more but was sticking to the - .015 rule. A longer COL will fit as I have been shooting a variety of factory loads. ( away from home right now so can't tell you exactly what they are. But the only factory HP's I've tried are 124 gold dots and had a longer OAL than the Zero's.

I think you will find that 3.8gn of N320 will be your load to get to 1040fps. In my CZ85 combat I ran a load of 3.9gn N320 with OAL of 1.085 & got 1045fps. you can start at 3.2gn but I think it will get you about 950fps. I would start at 3.6gn with an OAL of 1.080 . That would be 0.010 off the rifling. You should be able to keep your Oal with in +/- 0.004 of your target of 1.080

I think you will find that 3.8gn of N320 will be your load to get to 1040fps. In my CZ85 combat I ran a load of 3.9gn N320 with OAL of 1.085 & got 1045fps. you can start at 3.2gn but I think it will get you about 950fps. I would start at 3.6gn with an OAL of 1.080 . That would be 0.010 off the rifling. You should be able to keep your Oal with in +/- 0.004 of your target of 1.080

Any more load data for a cz 85 with plated bullets 124 grains RN.

I have 1k of Xtremes,1k or RMR and 1K of Berrys HBRN.

Powders to play with are WST, Bullseye , Hp-38, power pistol, Ramshot Silhouette

I thought about a 1.080 OAL. I use a single stage Rockchucker, and was staying around the 0.002 range.(only 10 rounds though) As long as I'm careful and check the rounds I should be good to go. Starting to feel much better in regard to the first rounds that I will test. ( 3.4, 3.6 and my to be pulled 3.8's to change the OAL to 1.080)

Thanks

Ok, just tried some loads out. The 3.4g of N320 and Zero jhpc(124g) I got 925fps, cycled perfectly and recoiled like a .22. I then tried 3.6 grains and only fired 2 as the fps jumped up to 1250 fps. Is that jump in fps normal ?or is that my too hot warning? As I was thinking of shooting about 1050 fps, I will try 3.5 next time. The factory loads I shot, 124 blazer, and 124 fiocchi, shot at 1150 fps.

I did not fire any 3.8 since I thought it would not be safe.

Shot 9 rounds at 3.4g

Average 929.4

Shot 2 @3.6grains got 1204 and 1367. All numbers are in order of shots fired. Was hoping the 1367 was not correct, but even at 1204, thought I should stop.

Ya I have 8 still loaded so will do just that. I am careful about loading so don't think it's an over charge issue or seating depth issue, but will check it all over. What is a normal increase in velocity for .2 grains?

Some thing is wrong! How far is the chronograph from the end of your gun? Should be 10-15 feet. .2gn will give you about 35-40fps not 275 & 438. What do you use to weigh your powder charges? Did you check to see if you have bullet set back? How much crimp are you using? too much crimp will make the bullet lose.

Any more load data for a cz 85 with plated bullets 124 grains RN.

I have 1k of Xtremes,1k or RMR and 1K of Berrys HBRN.

Powders to play with are WST, Bullseye , Hp-38, power pistol, Ramshot Silhouette

look in your load manual, load just like lead. HP-38 is fast burning about 4.0gn should get you 128pf,