Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

870 side saddle ejection port side?

A62335

Ok, to make a long story short I was issued a new patrol vehicle and my shotgun will not fit the new rack with my Mesa side saddle mounted. Dept policy will not allow extended tubes, so I need to figure out a way to carry extra ammo on the gun. Carrying it on my person is not an option. I carry with 3 rounds of buck in the tube, empty chamber, and in the old side saddle was 3 buck and 3 slug. I'd like figure out a way to at least carry a couple extra rounds of slug somewhere on the gun in case I need to go that route instead of shooting buck. I am not a 3-gunner, but I thought I saw pictures somewhere of shooters that had an "emergency" reload of 2 shells available on the ejection port side. Can't remember if it was a velcro attachment or something else. I have room to mount something like this on the ejection port side, but not the opposite side.

Anybody know of something like this for an 870? If not, do I have any other options besides a Speedfeed stock?

Not as cheap but a much better answer for what you are looking for is a Speed Feed stock. The extra shells are held in the stock of the shotgun it's self and can be fairly fast with a modicum of practice.

This can go just in front of your ejection port, 2rds. This is generally universal. http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Shotgungear/Forend-Carrier/Slide-Loc-2-Pac-p22.html

This can go on the receiver and while your shotgun is in the rack, just strip off the velcro attachment. When you exit the patrol car, slap it on. This is not generally universal and you'll want to get the one for your model shotgun. http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Shotgungear/Side-Saddle/7-Shell-Side-Saddle-p24.html

If it were me, I would add velcro to the right side of the butt stock and attach my velcro shell holder there. I would also attach some to the reciever so you can either leave it on the butt stock or move it to the reciever, or stick two shell holders to the buttstock and move one to the receiver. I would want my ammo stuck to the gun either way when exiting the vehicle.