Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P .45 for IDPA CDP

johnhhuber

Has anyone been running a M&P .45 for IDPA and using it in the CDP division? If so, what are your thoughts on using this pistol in competition? I typically run a 5" 9mm in SSP and Production but was thinking about getting the .45 version to practice recoil management.

You could actually run the M&P in all three divisions. Light loads for ESP and SSP, normal loads for CDP. That's what I used for my SSP pistol the last couple years, (though I rarely shoot SSP). A 200 gr SWC screaming down range at 650fps makes a pretty sweet shooter.

I 've been running a mid-size M&P 45 in CDP division for 4years now. Love it! have won the CDP division at a few local matches with it. It Loves 230gr HAP' s at about 750fps give or take. As stated the double stack mags are nice for fast reloads. I have no regrets with how it performs.

Edited by sk330lc

I run an M&P .45 in CDP also. It make a great gun for that division, and got me to Expert easily. Mine has a magwell and an Apex FSS trigger.

That's exactly what I was running earlier this year. Truglo sights. Very nice setup but went back to 9mm just for economy.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - that does not follow the "Founders Intent".

You can use your plastic gun in CDP, but the "Founders" really want you to go get a $2k 1911 because that is the only gun that really deserves to be used in CDP.

Sorry - that does not follow the "Founders Intent".

You can use your plastic gun in CDP, but the "Founders" really want you to go get a $2k 1911 because that is the only gun that really deserves to be used in CDP.

Doesn't the founder happen to make 1911's???? LOL. As long as its in 45ACP, its kosher. If they don't like it, change the rules

I have run my MP .45 in a couple of informal matches, haven't shot big matches in a while. Have an APEX kit gun and stock gun. I like the reloads-I don't think a mag well is needed so no expense of that or extended pads. I also noticed that after a long shooting session, my hand does not have any of the slight soreness I felt after the same number of rounds fired through the Trojan. I thought the STI was pretty smoothed out on the edges, but I guess it still has sharp places the M&P doesn't, and I am prone to over grip the STI to try to make sure the grip safety is down. I carry these guns at work, anyway, so it makes more sense for me to shoot them. I found found the 4.5 inch gun with APEX springs to be picky when I failed to seat primers deep enough. Not as easy to make long shots with this gun as it is with the 1911s for me, I must admit.

Edited by sheepdog