Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noveske 16" Noveske Shooting Team Upper

sx2gl35

I have been very please with Noveske's products. I don't have this exact upper but do have an 18" complete rifle, two other .223 barrels in various configurations and two 6.8 barrels. I would say that there is a high probability that it will be a shooter.

Thank you shooter545 and HotLoad! Can anyone who actually uses it give a review, please. I'm entry level and don't want to screw up too bad. I know everything Noveske makes is top shelf, no qualms with super quality...just looking for personal experiences with that gun.

Sorry for the stupid question...withdrawn. Thank you James for the reply; I'm honored! I wanted to get the 18" NST, but the 16" came up first and knowing the benefits of intermediate gas over mid gas (barely), I got nervous. Noveske rules; the NST rules!!!

The main issue I have with my Noveskes is they don't shoot ball ammo that well. They shoot match well enough but I think it is something to do with the poligonal bore and the open base on the FMJ bullets. My JP shoots ball considerably better than my Noveske and the JP also shoots match better as well. The Noveske at its best has been a 1.05 moa gun with match bullets. The JP I have is .75 moa with match. With ball the JP is 1.5 to 2 moa while the Noveske is 2.5 moa to 3.5 moa.
I have 3 other friends who have had the same issue with their Noveske guns. Not a deal breaker but it sure makes shooting matches more expensive when you have to break out match bullets just to shoot pesky poppers at 100 yards.
Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

The main issue I have with my Noveskes is they don't shoot ball ammo that well. They shoot match well enough but I think it is something to do with the poligonal bore and the open base on the FMJ bullets. My JP shoots ball considerably better than my Noveske and the JP also shoots match better as well. The Noveske at its best has been a 1.05 moa gun with match bullets. The JP I have is .75 moa with match. With ball the JP is 1.5 to 2 moa while the Noveske is 2.5 moa to 3.5 moa.

I have 3 other friends who have had the same issue with their Noveske guns. Not a deal breaker but it sure makes shooting matches more expensive when you have to break out match bullets just to shoot pesky poppers at 100 yards.

Pat

What Noveske barrel models do you have?

Thats weird. My 14.5 CL noveske holds about 1.5 MOA with xm193. I haven't even tried any 69 Mk's through it yet because it does what I need it to with ball. Although the club matches I shoot only go out to 250.

Pat

What Noveske barrel models do you have?

Mine is a 18 inch Rogue Hunter upper which uses the SPR barrel profile which is about 5 ouches heavier than the Noveske Shooting team upper. My friend has an upper with a NST 18 inch barrel and it shoot about the same. I have a roommate who had an identical Rogue Hunter upper as we bought them at the same time with the same accuracy. Also had another member of the forum here I shot with in Texas tell me about the same issues with his Noveske. Just seems the accuracy while not unacceptable for three gun is less than stellar.

Here is a link to my accuracy testing over the last few years with my Noveske.

http://s59.photobucket.com/user/355sigfan/library/NOveske%20Rogue%20Hunter%20targets?sort=3&page=1

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Not a Noveske ST upper, but my Noveske Recon upper shoots great. Upper has the 16" Recon stainless 1:7 bbl with a Battle Comp. I've tried Win 55gr fmj Qload, Hornady 55gr Amax and 75 gr HP. All shot sub moa including the fmj (just under), which surprised me. I've been real happy with the upper on my preban bushy lower. I've got a combat ALG trigger in the lower, so not a match trigger. Love the NSR forearm. Upper is soft for a carbine and more than accurate enough. My favorite carbine to date. That said, my JP upper (18") is more accurate (55gr Nosler BT) and softer overall when u combine the rifle length gas, adj gas block, LMOS BCG, and JP comp. I didn't get the Noveske for 3gun, but would have no problem running it in a match. The JP however is the best choice (IMHO) for a game gun. YMMV.

P.S. - Love the NSR rail so much, I'm going to put one on my JP 3gun upper.

What optic do you guys use for testing rifle and ammo accuracy? I have a real hard time shooting better than 2moa with my mtac but have shot 3/4 Moa with a decent 3-9 on the same setup.

I was using my Swarovski Z6i for most of those groups I fired some with a 20x scope on top of it and noticed no difference. The trick is matching the target to your reticle and then you can get good groups regardless of the magnification.

pat

I got the NST 16", and now I don't care if it shoots, it's AWESOME just looking at it. It went on my lower very snug, absolutely perfect, solid hook-up. The NSR is superb, and a thing of beauty as well. Swag was nice too. Initial firing with Tac30 huge dot is 1 1/2" at 100yds...good enough, but should be better with a cross-hair reticle. If someone who shoots a 16" NST could be so kind as to give me their handloads for 55g NBT and 69g SMK, I bet I can do better!!! James?

Mine is a 18 inch Rogue Hunter upper which uses the SPR barrel profile which is about 5 ouches heavier than the Noveske Shooting team upper.

just catching up on this thread. freudian slip or painful insight on lugging heavy rifles (or both)? :)

James Casanova seems to be shooting them just fine.

J

I think you win the best name/avatar combination on BE. Just sayin'!

Thanks I laugh still when I see my Avatar. Good life philosophy, although my mother would probably scold me :).

J