Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a 22/45

Wilson

To be honest...don't build a 22/45. Build a Buckmark. Less expensive and a far more reliable gun. Go On Gun Broker and buy a pre 2001 gun that has the older style slide and firing pin assy. Been down that road already with multiple Rugers....The biggest failing with the Ruger is the magazines wear fast and the load assist button on the side of the mags hags up. If you go down the Ruger road buy the Majestic arms mags at the start or you will be frustrated and buy them later and spend good money twice. The Ruger mags just don't hold up for a speed shooter.

To be honest...don't build a 22/45. Build a Buckmark. Less expensive and a far more reliable gun. Go On Gun Broker and buy a pre 2001 gun that has the older style slide and firing pin assy. Been down that road already with multiple Rugers....The biggest failing with the Ruger is the magazines wear fast and the load assist button on the side of the mags hags up. If you go down the Ruger road buy the Majestic arms mags at the start or you will be frustrated and buy them later and spend good money twice. The Ruger mags just don't hold up for a speed shooter.

I'm not sure about that. I started with a Ruger, shot, on average, two challenges a month and taken it to 4 World Championships. I got a Buckmark a couple of years ago and use it interchangeably with the Ruger. They both work well, provided you feed it with the ammunition it likes. I do like the River trigger a little better though :)

The 22/45 is a great gun, after a little work. FIrst take out the mag safety and loaded chamber indicator. Replace with volquar trigger. Then change out the extractor with one from KIDD for the 10/22 they are the same and made from tool steel. Everything else is a gimmick including comps on a .22. I have tried it all including the light uppers. Oh yeah federal ammo high velocity.

Thanks for the great tips. I was never sensitive enough to notice much of a difference the comp made on a .22.

Not much difference from recoil, but it makes it a little louder for the timer:)

Does anyone know of (or have ever heard of) an ambi thumb safety on a 22/45?

My MkII is a great gun, is full of Volq parts and is used in Bullseye matches, primarily. If it only had a usable safety, I could put it to work elsewhere too.

I've found no mention of such a safety or modification but figured I'd ask if anyone had.

Mark

Edited by redial

Does anyone know of (or have ever heard of) an ambi thumb safety on a 22/45?My MkII is a great gun, is full of Volq parts and is used in Bullseye matches, primarily. If it only had a usable safety, I could put it to work elsewhere too.I've found no mention of such a safety or modification but figured I'd ask if anyone had.Mark

You're in the steel challenge forum, safeties aren't required :)

But no, I don't know of one.

Thanks for the great tips. I was never sensitive enough to notice much of a difference the comp made on a .22.

Not much difference from recoil, but it makes it a little louder for the timer:)

Good point about the noise. I have a Springfield 4 inch V-10 XD-40. That little guy is LOUD,especially with duty ammo. Nice big flames,too.

I had a comp on my Marvel at one time. I hated cleaning it.

The reason many shooters think comps don't help a rimfire is because they aren't using one made for the application. 2 problems with 22 comps...they need to be cleaned easily and they need to utilize the relatively small amount of gas. Most comps can't be cleaned easily with out removing them. I don't remove mine and it is clean in about 5 seconds....If You look at the TACCOM design and make a comp similar but don't put the 5/8 hole all the way through. Then turn it so all of the gas is exhausted straight up...it works great. The reason they are quick to clean is you can use a 5/8 end mill to clean it in seconds. If you ever shoot a lot of falling steel it makes a huge difference getting to the next shot....I think it makes a big difference in steel challenge also........Some people will never believe because they refuse to do the work to prove or disprove a theory. The comps that expel the gas every where might look cool but they don't work...keep the front of the barrel down and the gun running flat.

The lighter weight guns flip more. The lighter the weight makes it easier to start moving and get it stopped easier. The faster transition the better. Now what is easier to move ...? ...a gun that isn't flipping in recoil or one that runs flat. Just because it doesn't recoil as much as a center fire doesn't mean you won't gain from a proper comp.

I have compared the same gun on target at 12 and 20 yds to see what the difference is. It's not difficult to see the difference in how far the dot moves....or doesn't.

It may not matter in the bottom of c class but the higher you get the more those tenths of a second matter.

Comps on .22s really are effective. I have 2 Ruger 22/45s. One with a homemade comp that has ports pointing up and one pistol is stock. Shooting them side by side puts the naysayers to rest. Yes, it's just a .22, but a comp is a noticeable improvement.