Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super mags for 9mm?

DrLove

Yes. All you need is a follower and a spacer. If you need 140 spacers I have a few new in bag I will sell cheap as I do not need them. Picked em up in a package deal. PM me if you need em.

I actually still need to get the gun first:). A friend has a Steelmaster he wants to sell and i have many 38super mags and don't want to buy new mags:) Thanks for the advice though...

Not every mag will need a spacer and it all depends on your OAL also. There were several extensive threads on this in the past few years and many guys stated that they did not put spacers in them and they never had a malfunction. Most were loading them out to 1.165 or greater to get the best results. If you do need a spacer, then you will have to replace the follower. Also, if you need a spacer, get the Hardy - it's the best and it's made of metal instead of plastic like the other ones.

I use .38 super STI mags for my 9mm without changing a thing. Factory length ammo , ( not an open gun) with

8K fired, not one malfunction.

Better luck than I then. I load out to 1.170 and still need the spacer.

These are the types of inconsistencies most people were posting in the other threads hence my statement about "not every mag needing a spacer"...you just have to try it first and go from there...

My 140's will run without the spacer but the 170's were not 100% without the spacer so I just used the spacers in all of them, except the SVI's which run 100% without the spacer. I use the plastic in the 140 and metal in the 170's. After 3 years the plastic spacers are still working fine and looking good.

The steel master is a cute little toy, I shot a friends some with minor ammo and it was more bouncey than my full size open gun with major. It could just be me but I find no use for minor loads in an open gun. YMMV

why not use a spacer? spacers give an edge in reliability and you can still get 29 in a big stick.

edit to add. SV mags require no spacer, I assume we are talking about STI mags.

Edited by wes777

why not use a spacer? spacers give an edge in reliability and you can still get 29 in a big stick.

edit to add. SV mags require no spacer, I assume we are talking about STI mags.

Not always, I have friends who have over 10K on STI mags without one issue so why introduce another piece that you dont need. Only use what you need.

hey, i support less is more. I just havent hit that combo yet. I had a big stick that WAS running without the spacer, then it nose dived once...... Once I got the mag to run the same capacity with the spacer, 100%, there was no reason to not use the spacer, for me.

I load my 9mms as long as possible. Loading .020" off of the barrels lands and grooves, my 124 gr. Bayou bullets finish out at 1.230". At this length they work perfectly in a .38 Super magazine because the ammo is as long as a .38 Super. If you can load long like this it gives you the added advantage of greater internal case capacity. This makes it much easier to make major power factor in a 9mm. There are many gunsmiths who could cut the throating in a barrel to accept these long rounds.