Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

m&p pro 5" shoots low

3djedi

Has the stock Novak sights. At 25 yards shoots about 6"-8" low. I am aiming dot over target. Anyone else have factory sights shooting low like this? I'm pretty disappointed since this is supposed to be a competition gun.

This is .40 factory reloads 165g

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem shooting low, read Dave Dawson's article on his website (Dawson Precision). I followed what Dave said installed a .100 wide and .020 shorter front site. Worked out for me.

^ This right here.

Brass drift? Mine seemed to like very rapid lighter taps. Front sight wasn't fitted at all so it was a fight to the end. My dovetail also had a tighter and looser side. So beware when fitting the new sight.

Edited by Forrest Halley

Same issues with the 9mm Pro 5". I ordered a .160 front sight. haven't received it yet. Any tricks to getting that front sight out of the dove tail?

if you ordered a Dawson one, it will come with a aluminum punch that us rectangular shaped. its great for punching out the front sights on the 5". just make sure that its clamped into a good vise with no movement. Also use some loctite on it. put the slide in the oven to cure it faster if needed

There is a vid on youtube on how to do it.

Edited by Sandbagger123

I had similar issues with 115 and 124 gr ammo but 147's seem to shoot closer to poa/poi. Switching to a KKM precision barrel helped too.

I was in a law enforcement armorer class yesterday. I brought up that same subject to the S&W instructor. He stated the S&W M&P barrels are "combat barrels" and are designed with looser tolerances so they can eat everything we feed them. If you want tighter groups buy a competition barrel.

In my case I noticed an impressive difference when I switched to a KKM barrel.

Edited by eagleinstructor

Brass drift? Mine seemed to like very rapid lighter taps. Front sight wasn't fitted at all so it was a fight to the end. My dovetail also had a tighter and looser side. So beware when fitting the new sight.

Sights on the M&P come off left to right. (left being the side with the takedown lever) The dovetail is "wedged". By the way, on the frame, roll pins are either direction but pins come out right to left in general.

Has the stock Novak sights. At 25 yards shoots about 6"-8" low. I am aiming dot over target. Anyone else have factory sights shooting low like this? I'm pretty disappointed since this is supposed to be a competition gun.

This is .40 factory reloads 165g

You said you are aiming "dot over target". I had a student using the dots as sights, don't do that, they are not designed for that. Use the front sight blade between the rear sight opening. Equal light between them and a flat plane across the top. Disregard the dots for target shooting. They are there for nighttime combat shooting and believe me, in that situation 6 inches low will still be perfect.

I had this same problem with an S&W 1911. I wonder if Smith is just having issues with their choice of sights. I dealt with it by selling it, but that was just my method... It wasn't my competition gun.

Changing sights is so easy and there are so many options, that seems like an easy enough fix.

• 5 weeks later...