Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing rear sight on a Kimber

sturg

I have a Kimber custom Target II with the adjustable bomar style rear sight. I'm going to install a Doctersight and need to know the best way to remove the stock sight. I haven't tried yet, wanted feedback first. Are there any set screws or anything?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Sturg - The Bomar-type adjustable rear sight on my Kimbers is retained by a set-screw.

To get at it, first you have to screw the elevation screw on top of the sight all the way up with a flat bladed screwdriver. The top part of the sight will pivot up and towards the front, and eventually when you have totally unscrewed the elevation screw it will swing up and reveal the upper surface of the sight base.

Remove the two small coil springs that serve to tension the elevation adjustment.

Then looking down at the top of the pistol with the pistol pointing away from you, the set screw is ahead of the spring recesses and to the left, I think. It is obscured by some loctite type spooge, and you really need to ensure that you choose the appropriate allen-head driver to get it out. Mine did not require an inordinate amount of pressure.

Good luck,

Tim

urbanti - thanks for the advice. I suspected there might be a set screw under there and it was right where you said. I got the sight off and think i realized what Tupperware had warned about. It is a Custom Target II and I found a spring under the dovetail. The area under the dovetail is machined out down to the firing pin/spring and the spring provides downward pressure to a small piece whose function I'm not quite sure of. It might be related to the extractor function.

Needless to say, the stock Kimber adjustable sight is off. My new Doctersight came in today (Kimber Bo-Mar style mount 55700-16 seems correct). Was told most people order the -9 and I ordered both to be safe. The -9 won't clearly won't work without machining the slide forward of the dovetail area. The dovetail is way too snug for me to get started without adding a slight bevel so I think I'm going to leave that to a gunsmith to install. It was worth a try.

Thank you both for your valuable insight.

Anybody know a good gunsmith in the Baltimore area?

Thanks,

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

sturg,

The parts you found under your front sight have nothing to do with extractor function. They are part of the Swartz (sp?) safety system. They block forward movement of the firing pin unless the grip safety is fully depressed. I'm sure others could explain it better.

• 6 years later...

I am really stuck here.... I want to get rid of the series II firing pin safety stuff on my Kimber and therefore need to remove the rear bomar. I have removed the set screw from the bomar sight (actually both set screws and the elevation adjustment)but it won't budge. I have tried to tap it out, but it is really stuck. Is there something I am missing?

Edited by 1911Prof

You're lucky the sight came off. I've run across a Kimber that would not let go of the Bomar. If I had a mill I would have milled the base out of the slide. Heat, vise, hammer, bigger hammer, more heat. And yes all the screws were removed. I ended up just removing the broken leaf and fitting a new one, leaving the base in place.

I am really stuck here.... I want to get rid of the series II firing pin safety stuff on my Kimber and therefore need to remove the rear bomar. I have removed the set screw from the bomar sight (actually both set screws and the elevation adjustment)but it won't budge. I have tried to tap it out, but it is really stuck. Is there something I am missing?

If you don't want to save it, you could just cut across it. I did it with a front and it worked, just have to be carefull.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't have the Bomar but the fixed rear site on mine was tight. It took some pretty good whacks to come loose. I too would remove the Series II parts from the slide while I had it off. No need to take anything out of the frame of the gun unless you just want to.

Needless to say, the stock Kimber adjustable sight is off. My new Doctersight came in today (Kimber Bo-Mar style mount 55700-16 seems correct). Was told most people order the -9 and I ordered both to be safe. The -9 won't clearly won't work without machining the slide forward of the dovetail area. The dovetail is way too snug for me to get started without adding a slight bevel so I think I'm going to leave that to a gunsmith to install. It was worth a try.

Most sights won't just slide right in, sometimes you need to break the leading edge of the dovetail on the slide, and most often you'll need to file the dovetail and set the height on the sight itself so it fits in. A 60 degree triangle file with at least one safe side can be used for this. If you're not comfortable doing this, take it to a smith, they'll hook you up.