Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 9mm major help needed:)

DrLove

Ok folks, so I’ve tried to avoid reloading all I can but I’m failing. Other than the AAA 38 super major loads I can buy every now and then, I’m feeling I’ll just have to start reloading.

Now you have to understand I’m a complete newbie to the whole world of reloading. I have no clue what kind of equipment, or supplies do I need. So I really need to ask for a big favor. Can someone just give me a “summary for dummies” kind of thing now on how do I even start. I don’t mean reloading data, I actual mean everything, tools, etc. I have no clueJ.

My plan would be to reload 9mm major at some point, that’s all I knowJ.

Edited by DrLove

DrLove I love that name. I was like you about year ago. Now I reload 9mm and 45 ACP and soon 40 S&W. 1. See if you can attend A class or a seminar on reloading. 2. Purchase the books THE ABC'S OF RELOADING and LYMAN RELOADING HANDBOOK.

I attend a Seminar at local sport & goods that sold reloading equipment. Now some will tell you to start off with Single stage press but I jump with both feed in and purchased a Hornady lock n load progressive press. It was simple just take your time and follow the recipes to work up to your favorite load. But back to you. You will need loading dies for the caliber you will be shooting. Bullet puller hammer for the mistake you will make, and yes you will make mistakes. :goof: And if you go progressive I highly recommend purchasing the RCBS Lock out die. You will need a primer tray and the list goes on. For the Press the Big three Dillon, Hornady, and RCBS. All three have advantages dis-advantages. But after month you will wonder why you waited so long.

Edited by kmaultsby

I would strongly recommended buying a chronograph and budgeting for it as part of your initial reloading equipment purchase.

To me it is as important as buying a weigh scale for weighing powder. There are a couple good ones with basic features for the <$100 price range that do the job well. It is impossible to confidentially "work up" a load to major without access to a chrono.

The basics for reloading are:

Press, dies, scale, digital/dial/vernier calipers, chrono, flip tray (if loading primers in tubes for progressive press), and tumbler for cleaning brass.

Then you get to all the other little gizmos, gadgets, and accessories that may or may not be useful or needed but can cost a lot. The field is wide open here.

Making good ammo is most dependent on your methodology and paying attention to the details than anything else. It is easy to buy way more than you really need to reload, so I recommend getting the basics and then buying as you see the need.

Rony, are you planning on reloading 9mm major or .38 super?

To start reloading I'd do three things:

1. set a budget (SD costs $600, A 550 costs $1,000 and a 650 costs $1,500 +,

(round numbers with ALL the stuff you need to reload (see posts above).

2. phone Brian Enos - he'll walk you thru it, and take your order.

3. don't start reloading 9mm major - start out with 9mm minor and work your

way up slowly, with a chrono.

:cheers:

There has to be someone you shoot with that reloads. Ask around, they would probably be happy to show your their setup or at least discuss what they like/don't like about Dillon, Hornady, etc.

I agree with the other posters, you NEED to buy a Chrono and do small batches of bullets with small increments of powder and Chrono them as you work up a recipe.

If you are shooting 38 Super it isn't a $100 gun, so buying a $100 Chrono and using it will save you the expense of a new gun and keep you from getting injured along the way.

If you don't want to wait for a Dillon (probably 6-8 weeks from when you place your order), I'm starting to see more and more of the Hornady LnL progressive presses in places like Cabela's and Bass Pro. I prefer to shop at these places because I'm retired military and I get a 10% discount on stuff there (except loaded ammo).

On the open market (and except for components), dies will be the most difficult thing to come by, probably followed by shellplates. You may have to look at several stores to find what you need. If you don't want to go on a scavenger hunt, then I'd order the Dillon--it MIGHT get there before you get all of your fecal material collocated.

Before all of you who hate anything not painted blue get your undies in a wad, I have nothing against Dillons, I just had a friend who started me off reloading with a Hornady and have never had a reason to switch.