Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Coated boolits

BOOST

With all the different coating discussions going on in the other forums I have not seen any definite answer to the OP's questions. If I see something I will let you know.

I'm willing to test it out myself but currently I do not have a bullet mold with the correct 9mm profile that would work in 9Major. The profile that I have seats too deep/ very short OAL :

post-36086-0-56622200-1375564091_thumb.p

Edited by BOOST

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an enormous thread on castboolits.gunloads.com/‎ on this subject.

Seems WAY to tedious to me. Is someone selling them?

The hitek coating that Donnie puts on Bayous can be bought from Donnie and applied at home. That process is twice in the oven, to much handling for me. In a pinch I would do it, but you need shop space and a big oven to make real volume.

Someone familiar with chemistry and coastings said on some forum, maybe here, that powder coating exposed to heat of cartridge ignition going off is off gassing some pretty heinous stuff...definitely negative health consequences.

fwiw...

edit...the thread is 71 pages now...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?171403-Powder-Coating-Boolits

Edited by seanc

I don't do any casting. The powder coated bullets I tried were the Bayou Bullets. I heard that Kay was shooting them through her open gun without leading...so I tried them. They leaded up my comp.

Even exposed base jacketed bullets will lead up your comp over time. Again, I speak from experience.

D

When did you start casting your own boolits?

• 3 months later...

Supposedly, according to RUMINT sources, a start up bullet company that powder coats their bullets in bulk is about to bust onto the scene. They are located here in Illinois. I'd give out their website address, but it is still under construction.

If they make a 220 to 240 grain bullet in .308, they are going to sell like hotcakes to the .300 Blackout crowd.

If they make a 125 grain bullet in 9mm that won't gunk up a comp, the open guys might go all ga-ga eyed.

I don't do any casting. The powder coated bullets I tried were the Bayou Bullets. I heard that Kay was shooting them through her open gun without leading...so I tried them. They leaded up my comp.

Even exposed base jacketed bullets will lead up your comp over time. Again, I speak from experience.

D

When did you start casting your own boolits?

Kay is using Donnie's bullets. But she is shooting 135 gr bullets at lower velocities

Unfortunately I can't give you the answer on the powder coat methods but I can vouch for the HITEK coating system (as used on Bayou bullets and sold in home use kits from same). I live in Australia and the availability of CMJ and FMJ bullets is pretty patchy here. partly because of the success of bullets coated with the hitek system. most of the commercial bullet casters here use his product (top score, HRBC - Hawkesbury River Bullet Company, John Connors, bullet factory, Ray Gray and many others that I haven't mentioned). One or two use their own (like westcast which in my experience did lead my barrel).

At any local IPSC match there will be a big number of open shooters (mainly shooting 38 super, 38TJ or supercomp with perhaps one or two 9mm major) obviously all shooting major using HY-TEK coated cast bullets. There are still a number of guys using berry's or frontiers or HAP too. The general consensus is that the hytek coated bullets will shoot 'faster' for the same load as used with a CMJ (that is my experience too even at minor loads). So you can run your coated lead stuff with less powder (obviously still need a load that works your comp properly) and still make PF. The other general consensus is they do not lead. There will be the odd shooter who tries them and for some reason doesn't like them. Generally it is not using enough flare when loading (scraping the coating off in the loading process) or perhaps using a brand with a different type of coating other than the hytek stuff. Or perhaps he just got a bad batch. Over the many I've shot I have once or twice got a batch that perhaps weren't baked properly, or something went wrong and the coating was not quite right. but 99% of the time they are great.

I imagine if it's as good as people say in castboolits that powder coat may work just as well. though given you can by the hytek system for not much money I would be inclined to say try that first.

Also, you'd be surprised how many you can coat with a small mixer and small oven. you don't need some massive industrial cooker to crank out a decent volume. don't forget they only back for 10min or less...

Shoot several thousand through your gun and I bet my left arm you will see some leading then. You are not going to see much of anything with only a few hundred rounds.

It took several thousand rounds to do it, but eventually exposed base FMJ's leaded up my comp so bad that the bullet was plowing through the lead. Accuracy went to $hit...that's how I found out. Take a look at the attached picture. That wall you see inside the comp is lead, not a baffle.

D

post-6381-0-50876900-1387312254_thumb.jp

Fast forward to the 1:20 mark in this video:

If you look closely, you will see that the entire bullet is encapsulated in the powder coating. EDIT: the powder coating stays intact, it doesn't even flake off or chip, when the bullet is hammered flat.

Edited by Chills1994

Shoot several thousand through your gun and I bet my left arm you will see some leading then. You are not going to see much of anything with only a few hundred rounds.

It took several thousand rounds to do it, but eventually exposed base FMJ's leaded up my comp so bad that the bullet was plowing through the lead. Accuracy went to $hit...that's how I found out. Take a look at the attached picture. That wall you see inside the comp is lead, not a baffle.

D

And I bet my right arm that you don't clean your gun that often :-)

D

And I bet my right arm that you don't clean your gun that often :-)

Actually I clean my gun either after every match or every other match. FYI, the lead wall (in that comp picture I attached above) was in the expansion chamber part of my comp which was not accessible through the ports. In other words, I had to take the comp off to see and discover that area with the lead.

If you're shooting mollies, powder coated, or exposed base bullets through a major power factor open gun and NOT getting leading, good for you...you are getting different results than me and many other open shooters that I've talked to.

D

We've already established that that A Bayou Bullet is not a powder coated bullet.

Musta missed that. What do you call it then? I thought they were sprayed, then baked to form a coating just like the powder coated metal process. I realize there is another process where you take lead bullets and tumble them in a molly powder...based on my experience I figure those would lead up the comp even worse. Anyway, it doesn't matter...they all lead up my comp. :) I gave up on all that stuff...got tired of chipping and grinding out my comp...and all that lead dust being thrown up by my dremel can't be good for you.

yes, the main method is just like how appliances get coated at the factory. A metal (ground) wire is attached to the the tray or jig the boolits are sitting on. The powder is puffed from an electrostatically charged gun on or in the general area of the bullets, and the charge draws the powder to stick to the bullets. Then it gets baked on.