Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg JM Pro light strikes, what is the cure?

Anyone else have their trigger assembly fit loose in the receiver ? Mine seems to be more side to side than for and aft but still sloppy.

I would think this would also absorb some of the hammer strike, not delivering it to the primer when the assembly moves rearward.

Anyone look into a fix for this, all my other autos are a tight fit and take pretty good force to remove and install for maintaining them.

Mine seemed loose from day one.

I installed a Mesa 8 round side saddle and tighten until the play is gone. Blue Loctite is needed to keep it together or it will loosen during extended use.

http://mesatactical.com/products/sureshell-carrier-for-moss-930-8-shell-12-ga/

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i remember reading (sold my jm so i cant check it) they all have a little play. a little play in a component like that wont hurt anything. sometimes a little play increases reliability, just look at how sloppy an ak47 is.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been roughly 1K since the XP 10/22 hammer spring has been installed. THANK YOU Mark for this gem of an idea!

NO light strikes with any type of ammo. My hammer has around 3700 rounds on it without any change it the face surface. I had replaced the firing pin, trying to correct my light strike problem (maybe 1200 rnds ago) but it doesn't look deformed at all.

It's been roughly 1K since the XP 10/22 hammer spring has been installed. THANK YOU Mark for this gem of an idea!

NO light strikes with any type of ammo. My hammer has around 3700 rounds on it without any change it the face surface. I had replaced the firing pin, trying to correct my light strike problem (maybe 1200 rnds ago) but it doesn't look deformed at all.

+1 to this, thank you for the suggestion of the 10/22 XP spring. I have always had a handful of light strikes out of every hundred rounds thru the shotgun, and always blamed the ammo, being cheap Federal and Winchester bulk stuff. Since changing to this spring, I've not had a single light strike with any ammo, about 600 rounds on it since the change. Very appreciative because it was so random when I'd get a light strike. I have become quick at immediate corrective actions atleast.

Another thumbs up for the 10/22 spring so far, got out yesterday for the first time with it put 125 rds thru the Mossberg no issue hope to do the same tomorrow.

Up to 300+rds no issues no cleaning, knock on wood. Probably shoot 100 more tomorrow then break down and clean.

Finally got my spring last week in time for 2 matches this past weekend. Before I had about 600 rounds through the gun with a couple light strikes. Put the spring in at the first match on Saturday and ran both matches without any issues. So far only about another 150-200 rounds but I think its going to run just fine after I do some more work to it.

Also got my XXL cap installed on Friday and ended up winning a Xrail at the match on Sunday so 10 rounds here we come.

Another thumbs up for the 10/22 spring so far, got out yesterday for the first time with it put 125 rds thru the Mossberg no issue hope to do the same tomorrow.

Up to 300+rds no issues no cleaning, knock on wood. Probably shoot 100 more tomorrow then break down and clean.

Shot 75 more rounds today had 1 failure to feed on a second shot. Shell half in the tube and on the carrier.

Brought it home broke it down and found carbon crud buildup on the outside of the mag tube where the piston and sleeve travel.

Piston and rings dirty but still free on piston and free in barrel.

Usual amount of junk in the bolt and trigger assembly. Cleaned her all up and gong to call it 300 rds. max between cleanings.

I figured that it would stop feeding before I got a light strike and it did.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how many rounds I've had thru my gun since the HD hammer spring was installed, maybe 2K?.. I had an extraction problem this past weekend and tonight I was taking the bolt apart to inspect the extractor and spring. While looking at the firing pin I noticed some mushrooming that I hadn't seen before. The hammer face has remained unchanged but the firing pin is approx. 0.010" shorter than another firing pin I have. I still haven't had any light strikes since the HD spring was installed but wanted to share my findings.

IMG_0034_zps1f32d90f.jpg

IMG_0028_zps940abc76.jpg