Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fast Powders vs 9mm Brass

IDescribe

I see a lot of load data here for 9mm minor that are well outside of published data using powders like Ramshot Comp, Solo1000, Clays, WST, N310, Red Dot, e3, etc.. A lot of these loads are clearly over pressure for standard Saami specs. As long as you know what you're doing, more power to you.

My question is for those of you who do game minor PF 9mm with these fast but soft-shooting powders above the max charges from published data:

How many reloads you getting out of a single brass? This is just a curiosity. I know it should reduce case-life. I'm just wondering by others' experiences how much.

--TIA

Edited by IDescribe

9mm cases usually in 9 Major loosen up the primer pocket and won't hold a primer before the case is really bad.

9mm cases running minor loads usually get lost before they go bad or blow out. I have seen cases that have been fired countless times and roll sized finally let go at the rear of the case. The end of the case comes off whole. Other than that, if you bell the case mouth more than you need to you may get a split in the case. The nickel cases are a little more brittle and are more prone to that too.

DougC

I use N320... not quite as fast as N310... I usually pick up my range brass over and over again. Fortunately I haven't had any major problems. When picking up the brass I occasionally hear a strange ringing sound when shaking the brass in my hand. That is an indicator that I have a bad case. Usually it's a split case. Sometime the split starts at the mouth and goes quite a ways down.

Thanks for the responses.

Doug, are you saying that with minor power factor loads that you do not see case failures earlier than would otherwise be expected that you would attribute to higher than recommended pressures from running fast powders above the published data and recommended maximums?

I see people regularly post the data for their pet loads for IDPA/USPSA in these forums that I suspect are in +P ranges, but I never see anyone add -- AND I usually chuck brass after X number of reloads because I've found that's as far as I can reliably go before I start seeing pressure-related case failures. I don't even know if that's the situation. Just wanted to ask.

Anyone running one of those uber-fast powders for minor PF want to contribute? :)

I don't know if Win 231 is uber-fast, but with the loads I shoot steel with, (usually around 125 - 130PF) I can reload my brass countless times. Like till the headstamp is worn off / unreadable. I'm currently experimenting with nickle cases, and am on around 6 or 8 loadings without any splits, etc. Same powder in my shorty .38 cases and they have been loaded probably (I don't keep track...) 2 dozen or more times. They are taper crimped, BTW.

PS

I have an aluminum Blazer 9mm case that I have loaded at that above PF 3 times and it's still going strong. Just wondered how many I could get out of it based on a similer thread in this forum.

Edited by Dr. Phil

Heavy bullets over fast powders are where most problems start......loose primer pockets and bulging over unsupported parts of the case are pretty easy to find.

I am using some 9mm brass that is on its fifteenth reload.... All with Universal and 125 grain lead boolits. YMMV

I've been loading 9 minor with N310 for quite some time and never worn out any brass. I don't even really keep track of how many uses they've had. It's minor!

In contrast, my 9 major brass tends to swell near the base after 4-5 uses.

I've been loading 9 minor with N310 for quite some time...

Thanks, Monster. Out of curiosity, are you loading that under a 124/125 or something heavier?

Me and several others are loading 3.1gn of N310 over a plated or lead 147gn at 1.15". It shoots soft and makes minor PF