Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with 686 rear sight

chuck perry

I installed a fiber optic front sight on my SSR. The problem I am having is that, with proper sight alignment, the rear sight notch is not deep enough to see the entire FO dot. The dot is cut in half. This drives me crazy and I'd really like to figure out a fix for it. Is there a custom rear blade I can fit to my factory rear sight, or do I need a complete custom replacement sight?

If the bottom of your rear sight blade (the sight picture) is not already flush with the top of the rear sight assembly, take a file to it...make it deeper. Slap some cold blue on the area filed, if desired.

There is the option of installing a new sight blade kit, like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/173968

If you go this route, get the whole rear sight blade kit for $11.49, not just the blade "only" for $7.49, as you will need to replace a part that will be sheared off when you remove the old blade that is included in the kit.

The sight blades come in different heights, and more than one height will generally work, although you might be on the "top" or bottom of the elevation adjustment. The right rear blade height will be driven by the height of your FO front sight.

The .101 and .126 blades kind of suck, too shallow for a nice sight picture. The .146 blades are nice, and the .160 blades are probably nicer still ,in terms of sight picture, if you gouge them out to for max depth, but I'd suspect a .160 would be too tall for your revolver. Although I suppose you could always take a file to the top of a replacement rear sight that is too tall, to take it down a bit.

Edited by johnmac

I had the same idea with taking the file to my existing blade. I see some guys are now making "U" notch rear sights for autos, I was hoping someone would chime in that there is a similar product available for revolvers. Are the replacement rear blades all identical in size, the only difference being the depth of the notch? If so, could I purchase the shallowest depth rear and have someone cut/file it into a "U" shape?

It's the height of the blade that differs with the replacement blades. The notch is somewhat deeper on the taller blades, but not necessarily as deep as it could be (all the way down to the sight base). The taller the blade, the greater potential for the depth of the notch when you go at it with a file. So get the tallest rear sight possible, not the shortest. I you prefer a "U" notch, I think you could create one by using a round file, or half round file, of the correct width, to deepen the notch to your liking.

If my explanation above was unclear regarding rear sight blade height, please see the image below.

ccae2be1-7990-40ba-856a-e33976b56107.jpg

This is a surplus Model 67 I fitted a .146 height rear sight blade today. I also opened up the notch with a file (I like the notch both wider and deeper). Contrast this with the stock rear sight blade I removed on the left, which measured ~.110 in height.

Edited by johnmac

Just got a PC 627 and lo and behold the Rear Sight is actually DEEPER than my Millet's/Weigands. I really like it. It's just a bit narrower than the other 2, but I can fix that. Most factory S&W rear sights have very shallow notches, one reason why we change them out, and there's not much to work with to deepen them.

Downside is if you go with a deeper notch, it will mean a taller blade and you may have to get a new taller front sight!!!!

I picked the SSR up from the smith this afternoon. Had him file the rear notch deeper as Johnmac suggested. Looks great now, going to try and hit the range with it tomorrow if I can get some 38's loaded up tonight.