Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post a picture of your Polygonal barrel

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will see soon enough on the Pro. I was told it is a straight cut barrel without Polygonal rifling. I wish their were an easy way to tell!

Reports I have gotten about EAA is they use whatever! My Limited Pro is coming in the good combo case but I have seen others in the plain plastic ones. Same goes for some sight configurations.

I wish their were an easy way to tell!

It is easy to tell......?

It either has square ridges sticking up or its shiny with pointy ridges. Take a look at any other gun you have. They should have lands and groove rifling in them. Then you'll know what that looks like.

The in your pictures, hunter is polygonal the others are all regular. the difference is in the lack of sharp corners between the lands and grooves. look at the crown and on the hunter the line that forms the corner between the barrel and the crown is smooth and curvy, on the others it has corners and strait lections where it transitions from one circle to the other between land and groove.

Mike

That makes sense looking at the EAA site then. They list the Hunter, Gold Team and Limited as the only models with Polygonal barrels. So guess it doesn't matter with my Limited Pro or Long Slide kit... they will be standard.

Since the Polygonal barrel has less sharp corners wouldn't it actually be better for lead?

No. If you were to get lead build up, it won't happen on the grooves as it does on a traditional barrel. It will shed the lead in a more general way, possibly reducing bore dimension.

If you load carefully you can do it, but it is best to use jacketed or at least moly or poly coated projectiles.

JZ

My new 9mm Limited Pro has the polygonal rifling. It's dated CL, which I believe is 2013, so it is fairly recent manufacture.

Meanwhile, my brother's 9mm match, which I think is a 2012 dated pistol, has traditional rifling.

No. If you were to get lead build up, it won't happen on the grooves as it does on a traditional barrel. It will shed the lead in a more general way, possibly reducing bore dimension.

If you load carefully you can do it, but it is best to use jacketed or at least moly or poly coated projectiles.

JZ

Are the coated as "leading-free" as the jacketed? I'm thinking they might fall somewhere in between the lead and jacketed bullets, but I don't know that.

I'll try to get a photo tonight.

Tanfoglio's website does list the polygonal barrel as a feature of the Limited Pro. EAA's website doesn't mention the polygonal rifling, but their photo is of a small frame model, so I wouldn't put much faith in their description.

Also, for anyone that's interested, my 9mm Limited Pro weighed in at exactly 43 oz.

I I tried to get a photo this morning, but the ipad wasn't cutting it. I'm going to have to break out the dslr tonight and use the manual focus. It definitely is not easy to get a good photo of the rifling.

I will say that it is hard to tell exactly what type of rifling is used. It seemed fairly obvious it was polygonal when I had my brother's match next to me for a direct comparison, but alone it is a harder to say for certain.