Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short 40 and WST

cnote

i currently I load 185 precision black with 4.6 wst/ 1.2oal for limited = 170 PF

Need to cut down to 1.3 OAL for a single stack 40 mag , anyone have a good starting point?? 4.3?? Less???

Just wondering please and thanks

I know I should start low and build up, but I am trying to conserve till things let up

• 1 month later...

i currently I load 185 precision black with 4.6 wst/ 1.2oal for limited = 170 PF

Need to cut down to 1.3 OAL for a single stack 40 mag , anyone have a good starting point?? 4.3?? Less???

Just wondering please and thanks

I know I should start low and build up, but I am trying to conserve till things let up

A 185 grain cast bullet over 4.3 grains of WST loaded to 1.135 OAL makes major in my 5 inch 40 caliber Trojan. Should get ypu pretty close with your precision bullets.

Edited by Dave C

I have a shooting buddy that uses 4.4 grs of WST in his practice loads

and has for years. He uses N320 for matches, mainly because WST

is an inverse powder. To explain, inverse powders are temperature

sensitive; the hotter the air temp the lower the velocity, etc.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Shot today some leftover rounds (1.13 180s &1.2 200s) from last summers loading session, temp 32* and they came in approx 40 fps faster than at 80*
Definitely would recommend a chrono session prior to going to a major if you build them up in the cold and expect it to work out in the summertime. The opposite just resulted in some hotter loads for me going into IN SS/prod in two weeks

Edited by cnote

Wow, a 7.2 PF swing, I never noticed it was that extreme. Was that with the 1.13 or the 1.20, or both?

the 180 short was a greater increase versus the 200 long, the ammo was in the truck while i shot an indoor PPC match.