Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check your new dies

Yelrdog

My latest stupid move:

Received a new 650XL from BE/Dillon. Set it up per the book. Installed the dies one at a time until I came to the last one (crimp die). Process of elimination meant that the last die in the box MUST be the right one to insert into the last slot in the toolhead, right?

Loaded about 200 rounds and went out and shot a match with the new rounds. Used my new Ruger SR1911 and had many difficulties with FTF. Figured it was either OAL or crimp issues with the ammo (or break in on the new 1911).

Went home and measured the rounds I had left over from the match and decided it must be the crimp. Fiddled with set up for about three days and never was happy with the crimp (45ACP). Kept checking it with my calipers as well as using my 1911 barrel (out of the gun) as a case gauge -- no joy. About 1/2 the rounds I loaded wouldn't fit in the 1911 chamber.

FINALLY pulled the crimp die and noticed Dillon had sent me TWO SEATING DIES. No wonder when I tried to adjust the crimp the OAL would change!

1. Didn't blow up my new gun since the brass was sized below the bullet diameter so no bullet set back occurred.

Yeah, they look similar. The die body is identical but the insert is labeled. My problem was that there was one die left and one hole in the toolhead left...

BTW, Brian took great care of me and I had the replacement from Dillon w/in two days.