Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This normal? How close is too close?

mike g35

So I added an Aftec extractor to my Matchmaster today along with a Cheely Setback 90 degree mount. I'm pretty new too all this and I just wanna check a couple things with you guys.

First does this look normal? Second, how close is too close when it comes to optics? I put the mount on and I CAN see light between the CMore and Slide but not much of it. I appreciate any help given, I'm new to 2011's and I just want to be sure everything's good to go with the mount before I break out the loctite. Thanks in advance.

post-33708-0-28382400-1372294840_thumb.j

post-33708-0-25966400-1372295033_thumb.j

Thanks. I guess I'm just not used to someone building to such exact tolerances. Awesome mount Matt Cheely!!!! Makes me wonder if the guy is capable of this with a simple mount what must his guns be like. I think I'm gonna have to find out for myself early next year. :)

I apologize for all the stupid questions BTW. I guess I win the "2013 nervous noobie" award. LOL ;)

Hard to tell from those angles and shadows. Can you take a pic from the rear looking down the slide? All mine are flat topped so no issues there but I have heard of some of the rounded slides having issues with hitting the scope. Also, remember the scope will flex during recoil so you need some room but not too much.

Hey Kosh thanks bud. Mine is about the same, I have to turn it just right in the light to see the gap but its there. It's so close I couldn't get a pic lighted well enough to show it. Too close? It's not hitting, just close.

Edited by mike g35

I love this mount because its so close. Once I put this mount on I have had zero issues with the gun. My only downfall is unloaded starts since I have yet to lighten the slide and add a racker, but I've learned to rack it quickly

If you've got the same spacing you'll be good to go the cmore doesn't move and the slide is on rails so it only slides straight back not up, unless your rails are way out of whack anyhow lol

Edited by kosh79

I love this mount because its so close. Once I put this mount on I have had zero issues with the gun. My only downfall is unloaded starts since I have yet to lighten the slide and add a racker, but I've learned to rack it quickly

I'm sure I'll have the same issue at first. I plan on sending mine to a smith next month to have a racker installed on the right. I'm gonna need a trigger job too. I was thinking about calling Bobby at FGW and seeing if would do it. Anyone know if he's doing that type of work right now? Or is he only doing custom builds?

If yours is lower than Kosh's, it might be too low. You can always try and see if there is any rubbing on the scope/slide but you also risk messing up your scope. I can't remember the exact tolerance that is needed but it isn't much but a piece of paper is about .002.

Here is a video of 90 degree mounted Cmore in slow motion. You can see the flexing so if you have a little clearance, you should be good.

I'm sure I'll have the same issue at first. I plan on sending mine to a smith next month to have a racker installed on the right. I'm gonna need a trigger job too. I was thinking about calling Bobby at FGW and seeing if would do it. Anyone know if he's doing that type of work right now? Or is he only doing custom builds?

If you need a racker installed (especially a ZIG racker), I would go with LoneStar Innovations. He is awesome, extremely fast turn-around times, great prices, and great to deal with. I would give him a try first for the racker/trigger and any machine work you need. I'll PM you his info...Thanks

Right, but check out the way the lens flexes in recoil, if you don't have enough clearance, it will rub the lens and could cause it to lose zero or worse...I hope it works out for you but just want to make you aware of what could happen.

I'd want to be able to fit a credit card comfortably in between the slide and cmore.

You could also take a little material off of the cmore as long as you don't go crazy.

It's too tight

After reviewing it and checking it out I 100% agree. But instead of crying about it I'm gonna make some changes. I'm gonna order a Cheely RTS mount today. I've got an extra one laying around. And frankly after looking at it I'm not sure the 90 degree is for me.

I have a good measurement equivalent now for the clearance. Distance from slide to CMore is roughly 1/3 the thickness of a credit card. As Mr. Vrooom said, too close.

I was reading the thread a lout the. Cheely RTS mount on CCGunworks vendor forum a minute ago. Someone asked if the RTS mount would work without the slide being tri-topped. I think I'm gonna go that route. Can anyone confirm that? Anyone using a RTS mount with a round top slide?

mine is .019 from the slide and no issues with about 10k rounds through it

I don't have a caliper that'll measure mine it's so close, and I have dial and digital calipers here. It's basically touching. Doesn't matter now anyway. My RTS mount will be here tomorrow. :)