Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Ti Commander

Zak Smith

Ted Yost just finished this Commander for me. It's based on a Caspian Titanium frame & Carbon steel slide. Ed Brown 45ACP barrel. Mostly Brown & Wilson parts. Custom-cut Heinies, black on black. The frame was left in natural Titanium, since it doesn't corrode.

142_4271_img.jpg [ link to LARGER image ]

142_4286_img.jpg [ link to LARGER image ]

The "light" parts are bead blasted stainless and are a close match to the Ti frame in natural light.

142_4259_img.jpg [ link to LARGER image ]

142_4260_img.jpg [ link to LARGER image ]

There are a lot of folks who won't put tritium in an heirloom gun. Maybe this is such a piece. Others just don't like how it distracts from a classic black on black sight picture.

The more I look at the pics the more I like this pistol. The Commander has nice proportions to my eye.

There are a lot of folks who won't put tritium in an heirloom gun. Maybe this is such a piece. Others just don't like how it distracts from a classic black on black sight picture.

I just ASSumed it was a carry gun... that whole lightness thing.

Judging by his SV, Zak doesn't mind a FO FS.

BTW, nice heater, Z. :)

Good catch on the plain FS. I actually ditched the FO FS on my SV.

I used to be a fan of tritium sights on carry guns, but I noticed a couple things in the last 18 months and the 15,000+ rounds I've shot through 1911's in that time:

1. I don't really need the sights for COM shots out to 10 yards as long as I have some sort of index.

2. "dots" on the sight surfaces are distracting (also Heinie's are less distracting than Novaks)

I figure the likelyhood that it's dark enough that I can't silhouette the black sights on the (ID'd) goblin, and he's 10+ yards away is basically zero.

Plus, this way I don't have to replace the FS in 15 years.

-z

Very nice.

Does the titanium frame save much weight?

Ti is about halfway between Al and steel in density, so split the weight difference between those two frames and you have the Ti weight.

It won't crack like Al (or even steel).

-z

for some reason right now I want a full length dust cover gun in Ti...

But then again I always want stuff slightly different than what they show me.

Zak ... cool. Sounds like you know what works for you!

I have finally concluded that I like the tritium in just the front. In fact, I can shoot better in low light now than I can in the daylight because I have no choice but to look at that @(U#!!U front sight! :lol: