Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will a Glock OEM barrel handle 9mm major loads?

Tuflehundon

Friend of mine has a Glock 19C which is his carry gun. He has used it a couple of times and is debating getting a new gun or just running his gun in open. I was showing him some guns with slide mounted optics and he likes the idea of getting the slide cut for the optic and having back up sights in front of the optic.

He does not want to add a frame mounted optic or larger comp, but is open to another set of ports on the barrel.

So would the stock barrel be OK with major loads? Would it recoil to much? With off the shelf ammo, the 19C shoots surprisingly flat.

He's not to worried about being competitive, he mostly wants to use it as training and wants to get better with his pistol.

With shorter barrels it is going to be harder to make major, especially if you put ports in it. Your are playing with fire using non fully supported chamber to shoot 9mm major. If he isn't worried about being competitive than why not just shoot minor?

A G19c shooting major pf ? That would be a hard one to hold on to. I've run some through my G17 with a LWD ext & ported barrel and it is somewhere between unhappy and unruly. I don't think the scoring would be worth it. Run minor.

Just shoot minor. Major would be very hard to make in a 4 inch barrel especially a ported one. The glock makes it even harder as your limited on oal if you could it would be soo violent it would hurt more than minor scoring