Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Fast is Zen?

daves_not_here

Did well at the Carolina Cup.

I rushed two stages and dropped a place in the rankings.

The rest of the time it was not rushed and things were allowed to go at their own speed.

The absence of conscious decision making and driving attention to the task of just hitting stuff.

Actively observing the "balance" of how my body drove the gun. Fast or slow did not exist.

It's a lot more work to shoot this way but a lot less effort.

It took a lot of work to get to this place.

Is this the path?

Anyone else going this way?

DNH

The one in your shoe that keeps you just distracted enough for your judging mind to stay busy so that your reactive subconscious mind can prevail, and your trained intuitive mind will come naturally to the fore.

When I first returned to practical shooting, I tried to think too much about what I was doing while I was shooting as far as sight picture alignment.

I was trying to go fast, and shoot accurately, and look good all at the same time. Rushing made me slower and slower. I would get really nervous the more I shot matches.

I stated to dry fire quite a bit. Handling the gun, reloads, and sight picture all became second nature. Sighting on the move, set up, I learned from books and this forum how I could practice all of this non shooting stuff in my garage without ammo. For some reason this made shooting matches almost stressless. Breathing became as important as everything else. I learned that I needed to control my body as much as all the "shooting" stuff.

Then I just began to whisper to myself as I shot, a mantra related to what I am trying to do. Something like "quickly quickly" as I move between positions and "smoothly smoothly"" as I enter/engage/exit from a position. When I reload I might be whispering "button". I rarely know I am actually saying these things as much anymore as it has become part of my routine. I do find it helps me know where I am on a stage as I kind of make up a little ditty as to what and when on a stage. This all get incorporated into stage prep. Now when the buzzer goes off, I get busy with my ditty. So I am almost not really thinking about accuracy, shot placement, or speed really. It's almost more like doing a quick dance routine and shooting is just an important element to the greater routine. It just seems a lot more fun that way.

Sorry for the ramble...

JZ

Mr. Zip,

I love your sayings for the conscious mind like "quickly quickly" and "smoothly smoothly". What's working for me is "Turn it on" and "Let it be as fast as it wants to be" right before the buzzer. I bet as we progress as shooters these mental messages get personalized because meaning of words are individual.

In the beginning it was "front sight front sight". It's a great feeling when I realize I've my advanced in this area.

"Zin" state. Love it!

DNH

• 6 months later...

Fast or slow did not exist.

It's a lot more work to shoot this way but a lot less effort.

Anyone else going this way?

DNH

Yes, and it semi-relates to motorcycle racing, which I have done more of than comp. shooting:

Slow is smooth,

Smooth is fast,

Speed will come w/ time.

It is a process. Good times. :mellow: