Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

44mag Powder

andrewst359

*shrugs* I use H110 and W296, because they're powders designed for magnum handguns. I use more H110 than W296 because I have load data for 300 BLK using H110.

I used to use the more "pistol" powders and was never really satisfied with their performance.

*shrugs* I use H110 and W296, because they're powders designed for magnum handguns. I use more H110 than W296 because I have load data for 300 BLK using H110.

I used to use the more "pistol" powders and was never really satisfied with their performance.

I agree, but it's a really bad idea to use H110 for reduced loads.

I agree, but it's a really bad idea to use H110 for reduced loads.

...and that's why i use 2400.....lot's of room for down loading.

I currently have 800x, tightgroup, autocomp, and bullseye on hand for powders. Can anyone suggest a good bulky powder for low recoil loads? I shoot mostly paper so don't need high power loads.

What "reduced loads" are you talking about?

See original post. He says, "low recoil". Guess that is subjective though. :)

Ahh, ok. I missed that.

I guess I don't get why you'd buy a .44 Mag and download it. Why not just get .44 special brass and load that? Probably safer.

then you have to change your die settings on your tool head...this way you just change yer powder, adjust the drop and go.....also depending on the grips taking a little of the edge off can mean the difference of shooting all day long or not. one other thing, full house loads sometimes are not the most accurate. i have found that for ME and MY gun, loading bluedot @ 14gr pushing a 250gr jfp is very comfortable, accurate and safe.....and a load i can shoot all day long.

Ahh, ok. I missed that.

I guess I don't get why you'd buy a .44 Mag and download it. Why not just get .44 special brass and load that? Probably safer.

then you have to change your die settings on your tool head...this way you just change yer powder, adjust the drop and go.....also depending on the grips taking a little of the edge off can mean the difference of shooting all day long or not. one other thing, full house loads sometimes are not the most accurate. i have found that for ME and MY gun, loading bluedot @ 14gr pushing a 250gr jfp is very comfortable, accurate and safe.....and a load i can shoot all day long.

*shrugs* I'd probably just buy another set of dies and set them up for .44 Special and be done with it. I don't have a Dillon, so I don't have to buy a toolhead and powder measure just to swap calibers.

And the whole point of loading your own is to find the powder/bullet/velocity combination that works best for you. If 3" at 50 yards is acceptable, then run with your load. If not, then download within the recommended range (min/max charges) until you get what you want.

I used 8 gr. of universal clays with a 240-250 gr. cast lswc and get 1000 to 1050 fps out of a 4 in. Smith, this is a great load for most uses not to much recoil, accurate, and you can shoot it most of the day at the range. If you use it to hunt with you can tack most game with this load. I find when I load heave bullets and 296 or outher powders in this burn range I end up having to use a shooting glove because the guns will start to remove fleash from my hands and I can not shoot as well as I would like.