Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm steel challenge load

mwf008

I've got an Akai 9mm on the way that will be used mainly for steel challenge irons. Its a SDC with an AET barrel. What kind of bullet weights are recommended since power factor is not an issue? I have lots of N320 on hand, as well as WSF and WST. My production load was 3.3 N320 behind 147 grainers (XDm 5.25), but I want to go even softer. I have 147 bayous, 130 MGs, and some Nosler 115 HPs to play with. What will the lighter projectiles feel like behind the same powder charge? Are the super light 9 bullets popular out of non comped guns? I've read of some issues with AETs and plated/coated lead bullets; is this still an issue when using super soft loads? My research has given lots of data for comped 9s, but that doesn't help me much. What do y'all recommend? Thanks!

One thing to be careful of is if you go too low, you risk reliability of your pistol. Go low but make sure they run 100% and the brass is clearing the port cleanly. I've seen brass basically falling out of the port onto the ground right at the feet of a shooter. Also, when you slow down enough, you might have to play with the spring weights but be careful of dwell timing also.

With 147 jacketed bullets, I usually run 3.1-3.3 of N320 and that's a light load. However, for SC, I usually run the MG 95 JHP and slow them down keep the gun functioning but they feel like a .22 almost.

One thing to be careful of is if you go too low, you risk reliability of your pistol. Go low but make sure they run 100% and the brass is clearing the port cleanly. I've seen brass basically falling out of the port onto the ground right at the feet of a shooter. Also, when you slow down enough, you might have to play with the spring weights but be careful of dwell timing also.

With 147 jacketed bullets, I usually run 3.1-3.3 of N320 and that's a light load. However, for SC, I usually run the MG 95 JHP and slow them down keep the gun functioning but they feel like a .22 almost.

How would you describe the difference in feel between in the 95 vs the 147? Edited by mwf008

Interesting question, all bullets must travel at least 750 fps, so with a cushion, 800 fps with a 95 grain bullet would give you a PF of 76! This could be fun, and achievable.... Definitely training to keep thumbs off of the slide. If your akai gun is as tight as mine, functioning could be an issue.

You will need ISMI recoil springs and a 15-17lb ISMI mainspring. ISMI springs are inherently lighter than their wolf counterparts. I would order 6,7,8,9 lb springs and be prepared to start at the bottom and work up.

95gn MG bullet

VV Powder (need to stay as clean as possible)

310 would be the best, start at around 3 gn and chrono, check function and adjust.

320 (next best choice) start at 3.5 gn and follow same procedure.

In your barrel, accuracy should be pretty good. Once you find a load that meets your accuracy, velocity, and functioning requirements, move up the recoil spring rate and ensure that you have the spring that gives you the best shot to shot performance. Let us know how it goes.

Stick with a 95 JHP, or 115 JHP/FMJ.

95 grain RN bullets suck in the accuracy department, and honestly, if you can afford an akai, (wonderful machine that it is!) then use the JHPs.

You can only load out to 1.050 OAL with the 95Jhp, and it will feed fine in the double stack gun.

For 115s start at an OAL of 1.120-30 and start at 4.0grains of 320. I don't know what recoil spring you will have but I had an 8lb in my limited 6in gun.

You want the load to lock back the slide. Put one round in the mag and shoot it. If it reliably locks back then you are ok. Add .02 grains to the load for a dirty gun and to make sure it is reliable in a match situation. Then load up a couple hundred rounds and shoot a dirty gun and see how many rounds it goes until it pukes.

Reliability is the number one thing, period. It doesn't matter how soft the load is unless the gun runs every string......

Have fun!

DougC

That vidio clip was a learning experiance for me.

I was wondering how all of you were getting away with the Popgun Loads on Steel????

Now I know. In this game you do not have to knock your steel down.

We have a steel match bimonthly with lots of Tomb Stones, Texas Star, Dueling Trees, Plate Rack, Poppers, etc.

The 9mm with factory 115 Ball is not real reliable on this steel where you have to take it over.

Bob

Edited by VIPERONE

one question about shooting steel... is there a minimum power factor ?

No PF. There used to be a minimum speed each bullet must be going (>750fps) but that has not been seen in the last few revisions. Ammo just must be safe and not deemed damaging to the steel, no magnum rounds...