Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for Spring loaded Safetys for 1911,2011

Anybody ever seen spring loaded safetys on a 2011 or 1911 pistol? I had heard a while back that maybe Bruce Piatt had them on a pistol. Any ideas how it might be done?

3 gun is driving me a bit to get a pistol done so I can just dump and go like a Glock or XD.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a thread at some point in the past six months that had a couple of pics and a description of how to do it. Basically, take a standard safety and drill a hole in the frame to accept a spring and plunger that would push the safety up when released.

Eta: found it

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=158385&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Edited by a.roberts

There was a thread at some point in the past six months that had a couple of pics and a description of how to do it. Basically, take a standard safety and drill a hole in the frame to accept a spring and plunger that would push the safety up when released.

Eta: found it

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=158385&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

I read that thread, but where do you drill the frame?

So this piqued my interest and I photochopped a prototype. Not the greatest image but it should get the idea across. Not sure if this is exactly what you guys are looking for but one could use a torsion spring or a flat spring and put the hole in the safety and the grip instead of the frame.

poc.jpg

So this piqued my interest and I photochopped a prototype. Not the greatest image but it should get the idea across. Not sure if this is exactly what you guys are looking for but one could use a torsion spring or a flat spring and put the hole in the safety and the grip instead of the frame.

poc.jpg

Your close, and yes the pocket and plunger is the way to go

You don't need to drill the frame. It's so simple and you don't need to modify the frame, just the safety and detent. It worked like a charm. Had to hold the safety down with your thumb to shoot. As soon as you let go, the safety popped up.

The plunger and pocket sounds solid. The clock spring just seems to bulky and fragile. Not to mention ugly as sin. drilling the grip would most likely require a thicker panel right?

No the panel is fine. Ugly you just can't fix LOL :-P

EDIT: It is not a clock spring I was thinking of it is a torsion spring which is strong and rigid not brittle like a clock spring. But again the spring and plunger is so easy and elegant and is the way to go. Just drill a hole!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Want 2race, are you talking about using a stronger plunger spring and maybe a longer plunger? Maybe instead of a detent spot have a channel the plunger rides in? That seems very practical and more than just for race guns....

Edited by 38superfan

Want 2race, are you talking about using a stronger plunger spring and maybe a longer plunger? Maybe instead of a detent spot have a channel the plunger rides in? That seems very practical and more than just for race guns....

Pretty sure he just modified the angle of the thumb safety.