Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding Out What "Bi-Metal" Jacket Is

bountyhunter

So, I plan ahead...... and I have a couple of cases of brand new .38 FMJ ammo from some years back to shoot with. I was shooting it in PPC league, when the guy who calls the start/stop comes over and says I can't shoot it there because he saw "a spark" so it must be steel core ammo.

Well, it sure ain't steel core ammo, but it is bi-metal jacket over a lead core ammo. The jacket is copper over iron. They made some that way to pinch pennies by rducing the copper content of the jacket.

So, got no ammo and the .38's are going permanently into the safe.

And with the enacting of the new laws in california restricting ammo sales, the chances of me ever getting any more in my lifetime are remote to zero.

Farewell wheel guns.

Edited by bountyhunter

Laws that won't even let you buy revolver ammo?Way past time to get out of there.

I could still buy some (for a few more months) if any ammo existed.

Where would I get it?

Ammo has been sold out for months. The shops get some in and it's gone in two nano seconds. And there are one box limits even if you tripped over some by luck.

There is none available on line anywhere.

The hysterical panic hoarding shows no sign of letting up.

Edited by bountyhunter

I imagine the copper washed iron (copper over iron) would be extremely hard on the range's targets.

There are no targets, just the steel backdrop. They are freaking over steel core ammo because of it's potential to penetrate steel, but iron jacket lead core ammo has no such capability. Steel has much higher tensile strength than iron and typically is also much harder, although hardness depends on particular blend and what hardening process is used.

It's just BS to make people buy ammo at the range, which is no longer an option since they never have any.

Edited by bountyhunter

You might section one bullet and if the rules call for "No Steel Core" you can show them it isn't steel core. But, sometimes logic doesn't work !! :roflol:

They call any ammo with any type of ferrous material used anywhere "steel core" regardless of what it really is. If a magnet shows an affinity whatsoever near the bullet, it's illegal to shoot.