Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I shot a 226 and now want one. INFO please

KentG

I shot a friends 226 tactical 9mm with a magwell and 20 round mags

I only put about 10 rounds thru it but really like the way it fits the hand, shoots and feels. I expected it to be nice but didnt think Id like it enough to consider jumping ship to a new handgun.

I have done some looking here and elsewhere and if I do it looks like the Competition version. My friend found his used at a good price and added magwell and new grips. The Compettion version I like already has the adjustable sights and it comes with a magwell already. Plus its a bit heavier and should help with stability.

Now I need to find more info on the higher capacity "mousetrap" mags or whoever has something like that IF its available. Im an open shooter in 3G so I will take up to the 170mm if I can find such an animal.

I will most likely finish up this season with my current XD 5.25 but maybe sooner if I can work it out.

This was actually the first SIG pistol I have shot and was very supprised how much I liked it. After owning Wilson pistols, SVI, and other 2011 platforms I cant remember liking one so much with just a few shots.

Id appreciate any help with the higher cap mags and I suppose BladeTech makes a DOH holster and mag carrier.

Also maybe a Dawson FO front sight and thats it.

I own several Sigs, including X-5's as well as standard P226's.

I shoot a Sig P226 X-5 L1 .40 in Limited and an X-5 All Around 9mm in Production.

For the X-5 L1, I have mag extensions built by Roger Sherman, the Mousetrap mags, and a magwell built by Dan Woodard. Both the mag extensions and the magwell are made of high quality material and well engineered. They've been through a lot of competitions and are holding up great. I added the mag extensions to both Sig and Mecgar mags. I kept the stock spring and follower in the mag and just added the extensions. Works great.

I've also added Dawson Fiber Optic front sights to my X-5's. And yes, I use a Blade-Tech DOH.

It's a great all around package. The extended mags will work with any of my P226's.

I own several Sigs, including X-5's as well as standard P226's.

I shoot a Sig P226 X-5 L1 .40 in Limited and an X-5 All Around 9mm in Production.

For the X-5 L1, I have mag extensions built by Roger Sherman, the Mousetrap mags, and a magwell built by Dan Woodard. Both the mag extensions and the magwell are made of high quality material and well engineered. They've been through a lot of competitions and are holding up great. I added the mag extensions to both Sig and Mecgar mags. I kept the stock spring and follower in the mag and just added the extensions. Works great.

I've also added Dawson Fiber Optic front sights to my X-5's. And yes, I use a Blade-Tech DOH.

It's a great all around package. The extended mags will work with any of my P226's.

Can you provide a link to the mags? I wont need a magwell if I get the copetition model but want the longest mags I can find. Thanks for the info and Im probably going to end up with one but it may take a few months to make it happen.

Here is the email to Roger Sherman for the extended basepads for the mag. They are made out of a high quality metal and work great. They work for both 9mmm and .40s&w mags of both Sig and Mecgar. Roger Sherman email prairiedawgshooter@msn.com.

Also, if you are going to shoot the Sig X5 Tactical in competition, I strongly recommend getting the after market magwell made by Dan Woodard (he is a member of this forum, goes by "Staudacher"). It's an all metal, high quality magwell. It's a larger magwell. You just slide off the Sig magwell and slide on the Woodard magwell. It's a very tight, very secure fit. You can PM him from this website. Well worth it.

If you need pics I'd be happy to post some for you.

Here is the email to Roger Sherman for the extended basepads for the mag. They are made out of a high quality metal and work great. They work for both 9mmm and .40s&w mags of both Sig and Mecgar. Roger Sherman email prairiedawgshooter@msn.com.

Also, if you are going to shoot the Sig X5 Tactical in competition, I strongly recommend getting the after market magwell made by Dan Woodard (he is a member of this forum, goes by "Staudacher"). It's an all metal, high quality magwell. It's a larger magwell. You just slide off the Sig magwell and slide on the Woodard magwell. It's a very tight, very secure fit. You can PM him from this website. Well worth it.

If you need pics I'd be happy to post some for you.

Im interested in the compeition version which has the magwell already. Thanks for the info.

KentG, I've attached a pic of my X-5's that have the magwell made by Dan Woodard (Staudacher) so you can see how they look and their size. The black anodized magwell is on my X-5 Competition .40 model, and the silver anodized magwell is on my X-5 L1 .40.

I've also attached a pic with my X-5 L1 (before I added Hogue G10 grips and the after market magwell) and the X-5 Comp with the Roger Sherman extended basepads so you can see they work great in either the Sig stock magwell or the after market magwell.

You will love shooting the X-5. It's the best gun I have ever shot (and I own a Dawson Precision tuned STI Edge).

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h429/runningsaluki13/SigP226X5trio_zpsc087af03.jpeg

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h429/runningsaluki13/SigX5s-1.jpeg

Edited by JGus

How many rounds.

I just got a 226 tacops with the 20 rounders. I am up to 12 of those mags, but how many more rounds.

I can get 17 rounds of .40s&w into the mag with the Roger Sherman extensions. If I did some work to the spring and follower, or also bought a modified spring and follower from Roger Sherman, I could get 18 .40s&w.

I've never used them for 9mm so not sure if they would add 2, 3, or possibly 4 more rounds (with modified spring and follower)?

OK Im just scratching the surface. I see that SIG makes a 25 round mag that at the moment is out of stock. First things first and get the gun but Im still trying to sort out the mag issues. I have not heard back from a few days back from the mousetrap mags. Its OK give it time. If I can just get the 21-22 round level from Mec-Gar 18 round mags plus the Taylor Freelance +3 that will work probably if they are available. Im supprised Im not finding much more solid info at this point. I have the rest lined up but the mag issue is still up in the air. I found ProMag stuff but would not use their stuff for a tire chalk. Junk.

What makes me confused is the fact that SIG sells a 19 round mag. IS that a Mec-Gar with a basepad? WHAT is the standard SIG mag high cap body for the 9 and then sort out the base pads by mfg. For shits sakes with other MFGs its somewhat standardized.

Edited by KentG

Interesting, you shoot a non tupperware heavy meatal gun, and bang your on it. I happen to own one of them critters and I can tell you they are rock sold reliable. Here is a challenge for you, Shoot CZ SP01 Shadow see if maybe you jumped too soon.

The down side to the 226 is the high bore line, and the trigger, but Gray Guns can work the trigger over for you.

Production is a good game and you don't need any more than 10 rd mags, but limited minor it a bit tough I've seen a couple do really well with a 6" 9 mm STI based gun, but I am sure you can have a lot of fun with the sig shooting it in either division.

Ben Stoeger is the shining example of taking the not popular gun and winning it all, it just takes a dedication and practice.

The Sig 226 shoots the 135gr Bayou bullets over 3.6gr of N320 very well, other moly type bullets I tried cacaed in the barrel, but mostly it goes to walmart and the gas station with me now, and if I shoot production it is the Shadow, and its made a few 2 and 3 gun matches as well.

I have not heard back from a few days back from the mousetrap mags. Its OK give it time.

When I ordered mine it took me awhile to hear back from Roger as well. He travels a lot for his job. He will definitely get back to you. And from my personal experience with mag extensions, his are the best for the X-5 format.