Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pf help

matt hoffman

Im here at bianchi and just found out my factory federal 158 .38 special didnt make pf. Published data and my chrono it made it. Im shooting a S&W vcomp, will removing the comp help or hurt my velocity? They use a 6" for their chrono. Probably a lost cause at this point.

I'm here too and I had to go shoot mine also, they told me the speed was 906 fps with their gun, I'm shooting 125 gr bullets so I shoot it in my gun with an 8" barrel and they go 1069 fps..... no problem, but I did not know they were using a 4 inch gun!

I can make ammunition that can do that and have no more power and recoil than 22lr. Not the way the game works, we do not want to head down the Olympic Bullseye rules route.

120pf is the way this game goes. We have to make that and they have to have a proper way to verify that the shooter is following the rules. Too many inconsistencies in the way they use the chronograph. It is solvable and easily done at that.

I don't see what you guys are complaining about, I'm sure they have an audit trail that shows the chrono is kept calibrated and they have a rigorous testing procedure documented so there are no variations shooter to shooter... After all, nobody would run a national championship without a calibrated chronograph, right? :mellow: <- (that's my poker face)

I don't see what you guys are complaining about, I'm sure they have an audit trail that shows the chrono is kept calibrated and they have a rigorous testing procedure documented so there are no variations shooter to shooter... After all, nobody would run a national championship without a calibrated chronograph, right? :mellow: <- (that's my poker face)

Ask CED how they calibrate their chronos?

Tom

Edited by 9146gt

Calibration is not a one time deal for measurement equipment. It has to be done periodically as components age. A chronograph used in uncontrolled lighting is even worse than most equipment, it should be calibrated every time it is set up and again when conditions change if you really need accurate results.

I guess it's voodoo to most people. The magic box says X fps, so that must be right!

I check my chronograph and keep records of the velocity produced on that date. I use either CCI 22lr Standard, Winchester T22 or Federal 711B Match. All produce between 1070fps and 1090fps from my BSA Martini Match rifle or my BRNO Model 2E rifle at 10ft from the muzzle.

I check my chronograph and keep records of the velocity produced on that date. I use either CCI 22lr Standard, Winchester T22 or Federal 711B Match. All produce between 1070fps and 1090fps from my BSA Martini Match rifle or my BRNO Model 2E rifle at 10ft from the muzzle.

How is a chrono calibrated clock speed? CED said they do it with a air pistol.

Tom

I don't really think it matters how you do it as long as what you are doing is as consistent as you can be. I use the above mentioned ammo as I can get it regularly and it always is made within certain specifications. If you use an air pistol of course you are also checking how well the sensors work with a small slow moving pellet that will show up errors very quickly. Plus pre-compressed air guns have the most reliable ES. As long as the charge cylinder is at 90% or more of it's capacity they firing chamber is filled perfectly every time.