Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finger bite

shadrach

My new to me Glock is home now. I had been working with it for a little while when I noticed that the bottom of my index finger aka trigger finger was getting sore. Looking at the problem my finger is being pinched between the trigger and the trigger guard. My fingers are not exactly as issued. The finger in question has been broken several times and was split from the finger tip to the first joint in a fight over a knife a few years ago. I tried the gun in my left hand "also broken more than once" and the problem is not as severe but still there. I have not noticed this problem with other handguns, mostly 1911 style pistols and Smith revolvers. And I did not notice it with the Glock until I had 50-60 rounds fired. Has anyone else noticed this problem and if so what did you do to fix it. The more I shot the worse the problem became. It managed to put an early end to my range time after 120 rounds so please help me out.

On some Glocks there is some "flashing" inside the trigger guard at the bottom where the two sides of the mold come together. Just take a small, fine file or some sandpaper and smooth it down. You can also smooth the bottom of the trigger. The plastic parts are not always smooth. This worked for me.

Bill Nesbitt

I used to have a girlfriend who believed that, if you bought a new pair of shoes and you did not want to get sore feet from them, you should bite the shoes before wearing them. Her thinking went that, if you bit them first, they would not bite you...

Try biting your Glock. I suggest biting the bottom of the grip because, if you try biting the barrel, you might make anyone watching very nervous...

Regards

Peter

:lol:

shadrach,

I had a similar problem back when I owned (gulp, I'm guilty of having owned one... :o ) a G27: I had the lower tip of my trigger finger sore after a shooting session.

I'm not sure if it was being pinched between the trigger and the guard, or if it was that damn safety lever hinged into the middle of the trigger bumping my finger at each shot.

What I did to solve the problem was to fire up my lightsaber (actually an electrically activated dremel ;) ) and mill the lever in such a way that, when finger was pressing the trigger, the lever was flush with the trigger, instead of protruding a bit.

It looked like curved, the same as the trigger, instead of straight, when at rest.

I did it very carefully, because if you mill it too deep, you might fail to deactivate that safety, thus being unable to fire the gun.

This might help you solve your problem, since the (now) completely curved trigger should prevent your trigger finger from slipping too low, thus ending being pinched between trigger and guard.

Hope this helps.

shadrach,

I had a similar problem back when I owned (gulp, I'm guilty of having owned one... :o ) a G27:

Just curious as to why you would feel guilty for owning a G-27? Is there something wrong with that model? I shot one today for the first time, and really liked it. I was thinking of buying one. If this is a bad decision, please let me know! TIA.

Larry

Larry,

I was just teasing Flex and all forum glockers... :D

I eventually sold the G27 because I never got used to the trigger mechanism, besides I wanted a gun with a manual safety.

I ended up with a S&W 6904 in 9mm:

3-1-3.jpg

the .40" in such a a small/light package was a bit too punishing with anything over 155grs for me.

Then dry-fire constantly...to toughen up the skin..

I'm with Flexmoney on this one. When I put the big serrated trigger on my revolver, it took the skin clean off after an hour of dry fire. I let it heal and continued dry fire after a day or two. First I got a big bulge on my finger and now it has a normal shape again, but the skin is really tough. No more problems. I can dry fire all day long (and I usually do :D)

yep, i'm with these guys....chances are it's the little safety lever that's causing the pain, unless you're allowing too much of your finger on the trigger (which is the only way I could possibly see how your finger would get pinched between the trigger and trigger guard). Use the tip of your finger, and with enough dry firing, you won't even notice it anymore....unless there's some medical reason why that would be impossible.

Thanks, I will try the steady dry firing first. That is always a good idea in my way of thinking. I have never seen anyone lose a match and blame it on to much dry firing. I also think I will reduce the trigger pull. This gun is supposed to have a 5lb. or 5.5lb. trigger but it feels more like 7lb. or 8lb. I am going to order a 3.5lb. connector come payday as well as two more standard cap. mags. My wife might do something violent if I don't wait until then. If all the above does not work I will give the trigger re-shaping a try. This is a Model 22 Gen 2 .40S&W. Just for point of interest it is a police trade-in with Trijicon night sights and came with two standard 15rd mags.

Here is a handy link for tuning your Glock trigger: http://limitedgun1.bei.t-online.de/

I've always taken the dremel and xacto knife to my new Glocks, and contoured the trigger safety so that nothing sticks out when its fully depressed, and polished/smoothed the face out. I also polish the connector, striker, plunger, trigger bar, and the side of the trigger housing where the connector rides, as well as the barrel ramp.

A little bit of slide glide between the connector and the trigger bar, and on the rails, and its good to go.

A medium stone for taking some of the tooling marks out of the contact surfaces, etc.

I've never gone to the extreme details of what has been done in the link I've posted.