Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Second squib

So I just had a second squib last weekend. I've always thought I was cautious and taking it easy when reloading, but obviously I'm overlooking something. I wondered if anyone has some advice for me. I'm loading 9mm with 6.9gr and a 124gr JHP. Equipment in use is a Hornady LNL AP with case feeder and poor man's bullet feeder (aka clear plastic tube feeding bullet feed die).

Stations are:

1 - Size/deprime

2 - Expand

3 - Powder drop with Powderfunnel

4 - Bullet drop

5 - Bullet seat & taper crimp

Thanks for any thoughts & advice.

Get an expander that expands on the powder drop, get the one from powderfunnels.com, it works great. Then buy an RCBS Lockout die. You still want to look in the case just to make sure but the Lockout die will back you up.

IMO,

First, I'd check my memories to see if I ever hand any distractions on what ever load session these were likely produced in. This is where you're problem most likely is & you should be able to find it if you're honest with yourself.

Next, I'd take down the powder drop & verify that there is no residue or left over cleaning patch etc in the drum gate. Just in case you had something that could interupt a complete charge. If you find something there I apologize for the "first" comment;)

Lastly, I'd take the bullet feeder off for now until you figure out WTH is going on. Set up a light & use that station as visual inspection point before manually placing the projectile.

2 is too many. I've never [knock on wood] have had a squib.

a few ruptured cases & a stung hand due to bad crimp on a test run but never a squib.

I loaded thousands of .45 on a single stage before I moved to progressives. When I did get my LnL is when I had a couple blown cases & slowed my process WAY down worrying that there was something I had done with the charge. (hind sight they were probably just bad cases) With a bullet feeder I was still only punching out a max of 600rph.

old506 - So I can move the powder drop to station #2? I thought it was too tight of a fit there - will have to try again. I have a powderfunnel in it now.

dzhitshard - I have thought about distractions, and couldn't come up with any. I will definitely be paying more attention, and will tear down the powder drop to look for obstructions.

Yes, move it to 2, it will go. If you need more room then just take the primer tube out, put the powder measure back in and replace the primer tube. But I had plenty of room.

old506 - So I can move the powder drop to station #2? I thought it was too tight of a fit there - will have to try again. I have a powderfunnel in it now.

dzhitshard - I have thought about distractions, and couldn't come up with any. I will definitely be paying more attention, and will tear down the powder drop to look for obstructions.

"So I just had a second squib last weekend. I've always thought I was cautious and taking it easy when reloading, but obviously I'm overlooking something. I wondered if anyone has some advice for me."

Get a powder check die before you kaboom a gun.

As you expand on two, all you need is expand with the powder drop on #2 then put the PC die on 3.

jmorris - RCBS lock-out die is inbound now.

shooter1911 - yes, I use One Shot. I will look at the end of the drop tube for buildup. I've never felt or seen any buildup on the cases or any dies, but will look there.

Thanks guys.

If you are using the PTX Powderfunnel, you don't need to expand in station #2. Let the Powderfunnel PTX do that for you.

Add a 10 dollar IKEA LED light with the flexible head, I just zip tied mine to the press.. perfect illumination with the head light in the middle of the press.

My new version PTX in 40 is night & day different than my early 9mm PTX. I pulled the expander from station 2 a couple thousand rounds ago & just rely on the PTX.

I think Hornady is going to get my 9mm back on warranty because the machine is dangerously "chattery" if I don't expand before it hits the powder station.

Edited by dzhitshard

Finally figured out how to clock the powder drop to get it in station 2 last night. RCBS lock-out die is waiting for me to pick it up at the UPS terminal. It will be set up tonight (after daughter's softball game) and I'll be loading tomorrow. SLOWLY.

On a slightly unrelated note, the Lee U-die that I have on backorder at Midway, which was showing due in today, was just changed to due in on 8/4. Grr. Anyone have a spare Lee 9mm U-die that they want to sell???

Received the Lock-Out die last Thursday afternoon. Set it up on Friday evening. Loaded 500 rounds Saturday morning for the Buckeye Freedom Blast. Paid very close attention as I was doing it. Everything went very smoothly.

Per dzhitshard, I thought back to any possible causes. The only thing I've come up with was when I pulled powder from a case to check charge weight, I wonder if I mistakenly dumped the powder back in the dispenser instead of the case. Aside from that, I haven't come up with any other mental boo-boo that would have caused it.

Thanks for all advice, guys!

I use a bullet feeder with mine so no room for accessories. I find the key is to watch the Powder measure as the plunger goes up and down, if it goes up and down its got powder. You can't see the case with the bullet feeder stroking a warp speed. All 5 stations are full.

With the powder measure in station 2, if you have a case feeder care must be taken that the plunger doesn't hang on the case feeder frame, you don't have that problem yet.

Also be sure to use a wrench to set the dies in the press, the bushings come lose, and when the powder measure comes lose it goes up and down instead of the block and plunger.

Squibs as a rule happen when something goes wrong, like a case falling over, the primer slide sticking, a bullet falling out, a crimped primer case, you do a short stroke and do not check all stations and take corrective action before proceeding. If that is not the case then the powder measure came lose and was going up and down.

I use a bullet feeder with mine so no room for accessories.

One of the best things about the Dillon's with the GSI feeders, you can have 2 station seat and crimp with a bullet feeder and powder check.

I now have the RCBS Lock-Out die in station 3. On an unrelated note, I'll soon have a U-die in station 1. I've loaded ~700 rounds with this configuration and all seems well (shot ~500). From my personal experimentation, it seems that in a 9mm case, the sensitivity of the lock-out die is about +/- .2 grains. That is a very safe margin based on my chrono testing covering that range, too.

Thanks again for all of the input, guys.

One of the best things about the Dillon's with the GSI feeders, you can have 2 station seat and crimp with a bullet feeder and powder check.

You can do that with a 5 station press?

I know you can on the 1050.

• 4 weeks later...

Per dzhitshard, I thought back to any possible causes. The only thing I've come up with was when I pulled powder from a case to check charge weight, I wonder if I mistakenly dumped the powder back in the dispenser instead of the case. Aside from that, I haven't come up with any other mental boo-boo that would have caused it.

ALWAYS dump the powder back into the powder measure and put the test case aside. It is too easy to double charge or under charge if you place that test cartridge back into the lineup. To prevent this, powder is put back into the hopper after weighing the powder charge and the primed case gets set aside for the end.

Also be sure to use a wrench to set the dies in the press, the bushings come lose, and when the powder measure comes lose it goes up and down instead of the block and plunger.

Yes this is something to watch. I cut a cardboard "washer" from a primer flat. This goes between the press and the LNL bushing. When tightened with a wrench, it prevents the powder die from turning or loosening up.

I don't think he's got a Dillon press. He says he has a LNL. I don't know if he can use the powder check die.

I've only had 1 squib and it was with a Hornady LNL. On mine the powder measure wouldn't drop all the way down sometimes so I trained myself to keep an eye on it but I missed it once and that was it for the press. I broke down the powder measure and polished everything, I used graphite on everything inside when I put it together and then rotated the drop probably a hundred times and it seemed to feel good and drop effortlessly. When I started loading I got about 50 rounds in and it got hung up again. Hornady sent me a brand new powder measure (good customer service by the way) and I installed it and started loading again. Well it hung up again. After that I put an ad online stating why I was selling it and ordered a 650. I've since sold my 650 but when I bought my new press (550) it was a Dillon again. I've loaded several thousand rounds on my Dillons and to this day I'm so paranoid of the powder measure hanging up my eyes are glued to it.

Edited by Mliebs