Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 Gen4, KKM & 180gr questions

dzhitshard

The search feature hasn't yeilded any answers for me with the limited criteria I've been able to think of inputting.

I haven't had troubles with cleaning dot drills for a number of years.

I haven't had troubles cleaning plate racks or mini poppers 1-1 to 25m.

UNTIL APRIL of this year. Unfortuantely I changed a ton of factors all at the same time so I'm having issues pin pointing where the cart tipped over

Summation:

I got a KKM barrel for both my G34 & G35 a while back when jhp/fmj projectiles were a little tight & I was considering moving to lead.

My chages this year:

A) factory tubes to KKM tubes

B) Factory spring kit to Zev kit, to factory kit, to Zev (with the Zev kit I got unreliable ignition with factory loads & from my WSPP stash hand loads. I switched the kit back once I broke into the FSPP & Zev would work reliably)

C) Factory RSA to red Zev recoil spring, to factory, to 15# wolf

I got the KKM tubes in at the same time I started getting cases of MG 180 JHP so I never changed to the lead. I dropped them in anyway because I had them & besides, their KKM so they have to be good. (?)

I'm using 4.7/4.8 gr of N320 w/the MG180jhp fired by either WSPP or FSPP & and I can't seem to print groups well. I get 2 o'clock fliers of about 8" @ 25m.

FWIW, I am a right handed shooter.

I origninally chalked it up to potentialy being an issue with the reduced power recoil spring leaving the slide a smidge out of full lock on occasion but still being in battery enough to allow firing. I changed from a 14# zev recoil spring to both the factory RSA & then a 15# Jager: both of which fully lock the slide forward on every shot. Unfortunately the expanded groups & fliers persisisted.

after the recoil spring delima I began to suspect that I was fighting trigger control over a change back to stock spring kit from a light Zev competition kit. This was even when I was confident on several occasions that I had a clean trigger break on plate racks & dot drills etc.

Once I broke out my FSPP & got some rounds loaded I swapped back into the Zev spring kit & hit the range.

I still have the 6-8" groups @ 25m with this load & the KKM. When I swapped back to the factory barrel groups were around 4-5" freestyle @ the same distance.

I guess that This Long winded question is: Has anyone not been able to group 180gr well out of KKM in a Gen4 G35?

Have you chrono'd the loads out of factory and KKM? Might or might not be a factor but I know my KKM barrel shoots slower than factory. 4.7 or 4.8 of N320 under a MG HP would be marginal making major out of mine while I am pretty sure it has higher velocity out of the stock barrel. I have not seen this kind of accuracy issue with my KKM barrel. It shoots better than my stock Glock.

I'll look into changing the slide lock. I do wonder why it would seemingly only effect one of the barrels though.

The G35 in question has right over 5k through it now.

The KKM is slower but it equals less than 2 full PF points (65degree day) with 20 round strings from each barrel.

Are you saying the gun is inaccurate or you are? Have someone else shoot your gun for you--rested-- & see if they can make groups with it. Then you will know if it is you or your gun/ammo. If it is the gun/ammo, try some factory rounds and/or a different load. If that ammo appears inaccurate as well, perhaps it is the gun...... Change one part at a time back to stock until you get satisfactory groups, starting with the barrel. It is just a process of elimination. First you, then ammo, then gun.

The gun doesn't shoot the KKM well: period. For some reason or another My loads listed above group significantly larger than factory 165gr @ 1090fps. I haven't broke open a case of factory 180gr to compair.

I blacked out the top of the fiber yesterday & put a bit more effort into the freestyle group & produced 2, 5 shot 3" groups POA @ 25yds with the factory tube & my load, followed by cleaning a row of 2" dots @ 15yds. I'm not inclined to believe it's shooter error. Again, with one barrel.

My gun groups just fine. I haven't done a side by side to really check but I think it's just as accurate, if not more accurate than the factory barrel. I definitely do not notice any accuracy issues.

It's a G35 gen 4, KKM barrel, 180gr Black Bullets International, 4.4gr solo 1000, 1.135 OAL. The gun is pretty much new. Bought as a factory refurb with very little use apparent and I have about 1000 rounds through it.

Does your KKM barrel lock up tight? Mine locks up noticeably tighter than the factory barrel.

Hmmm....I would set up 6 targets and shoot three 10 round groups by my hand in three, then have another shooter I trust do the same with the other three and compare. I have guns that I push left and thought it was the sights, only to run this drill and find its me not the gun.

I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to respond.

With it being so close to sectionals etc & me already having several thousand MG JHPs that perform well out of the stock tube, I'm just going to roll with that for the next couple months.

After things settle down I'll revisist the KKM issue with a fervor.

I would try:

1. New factory recoil assembly

2. New slide stop (new one on me, good info)

3. Load your gun from slide lock.

4. Have a very defined aiming point.

Tripping the slide lock for the first round typically shrinks the flier distance in half, on guns that throw the 1st-shot flier.

Had a Jon Nagel design KKM 9Major barrel in my open G17, slide mounted optic, typ. group at 25 yards was 1", sometimes 1/2".

With iron sights I get the best groups using a 2" orange or red sticker - break shot with that on the top dead center of the FS.

Edited by eric nielsen