Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY scott grips ....again...

Grinch

Ok I know this has been covered before I did a search but cant find exactly what I wanted.

I'm goin to do the DIY scott grip but I have no idea what grit to use?? I know alot of this is personal preference but I dont even know what range to work in.

I have used the barnhart grips on a sig and it seem to be right to me but i have no idea what grit they are.

Also can anyone help me on the glue to use? I've seen the most mention of using fiberglass resign can you get this a home depot? Also what other glue options are there out there are there better or thinner?

Thanks

A friend of mine did his grips himself and they turned out real well. He used 2 part expoxy glue and aluminum oxide powder. The fine sand that is used to put grip in paint should work well. Art supply shops sell colored sand that is very fine if you want to get creative. The aluminum oxide had a 5lb minimum, so it's probably not a good way to go.

Good luck.

I did my own 1911 grips with plain old skateboard tape. The fine tuning was a bit of a bitch but I got the tape wrapped around the grip in a uniform manner and it really works well. If you look in the Dealers Forum I believe our own Erik W also sells pre-cut grip tape for S_I's, Glocks and 1911's at very reasonable prices.

-ld

My best guess on the grit that I prefer (and use) is that it is in the 80-100 range. I found that anything coarser - like 3M stair/ladder tape would just tear the skin off my hands until I bled. It was simply impossible to practice for extended periods of time with the coarser grits. The 3M tape is very tempting because it feels so "sticky" and secure, but unless you have some very tough hands - it's a loser.

I've never seen a Scott grip or a Burner grip in person, so I couldn't comment about what grit they're using. From what I have seen in pictures of them, it appears to be rather coarse.

Personally, I wouldn't permanently cover my $120 grip with anything I wasn't sure I'd love. Also, from what I hear, the glue on grip treatments aren't as permanent as one would like to hope. Stick on grip tape has its foibles as well and is definitely less permanent.

If the grit you use is somewhere in the 80-100 range, you should be OK. No clue about adhesives, but 5 minute epoxy should be fine, provided the grip is roughened up enough for it to adhere to. There's also no law that says you can't experiment on some PVC pipe prior to doing it for real.

I've never seen a Scott grip or a Burner grip in person, so I couldn't comment about what grit they're using. From what I have seen in pictures of them, it appears to be rather coarse.

Personally, I wouldn't permanently cover my $120 grip with anything I wasn't sure I'd love. Also, from what I hear, the glue on grip treatments aren't as permanent as one would like to hope. Stick on grip tape has its foibles as well and is definitely less permanent.

It isn't very coarse at all. A super fine grit. You can grind of the grip and start again if you use a do it yourself method, I ground mine down 3 times until I got one that workd for me.

I've seen them in person, on one of Matt Burkett's guns, and I reallly liked it but was not so enthralled as to buy one.

Then EricW came out with the True Grip. I tried that and for me they feel the same.

So, IMHO, before I bought a Scott Grip, I'd try the TrueGrip and see if that was what I was looking for.

I've seen them in person, on one of Matt Burkett's guns, and I reallly liked it but was not so enthralled as to buy one.

Then EricW came out with the True Grip. I tried that and for me they feel the same.

So, IMHO, before I bought a Scott Grip, I'd try the TrueGrip and see if that was what I was looking for.

I had a Scott grip and went to EricW's TruGrip. Considering the fact that it costs a fraction of what the Scott grip does and that the texture is replaceable when it gets filled with skin/gets rubbed off a bit, the TruGrip becomes a no-brainer.

Plus you'll invest a hell of a lot less time getting it right with the TruGrip.

Guest Larry Cazes

I just put a Scotts grip on my open gun and I love it. Considering how important the grip is to overall feel of the gun, I'd say $150.00 is quite a bargain on a $2000.00+ gun. Much more worthwhile then the kinda cheesy Alfarro painted grip it came with. :D In replaceable grip surfaces/wraps, I really favor the Agrip that I bought for my wifes gun from forum member Nolan

I bought my SV with a Scott grip and love it. However, there is no doubt that it is showing some wear after 2 seasons of use. I'm not sure what I am going to do to fix it. I think the factory charges $45 for the upgrade when buying a complete gun. No idea if they will do the application if you just send in a grip or send in an old one for repairs.

I've just ordered some 60 grit size siliciumcarbide because after some use the 80/100 mix I use today get's full of pro grip / dirt and skin so I want something more agressive.

Just before the European Championships i did the grip for the standard div. silver medalist. He liked it and I'll probably redo his gun with the 60 grit.

You can find some detailed pictures of my grip here Dalmas Custom Grip

Its a slideshow but at the end there is some pics of my grip. I'm not at my computer so I could't single out the pics. enjoy.

Edited by Dalmas