Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between Tasco and Aimpoint

Newguy

Apart from the obvious -- reliability, quality and probably dot brightness -- what else separates a 30 mm Tasco ProPoint from the Aimpoint other than price? Is the Aimpoint parallax-free v. parallax in the Tasco?

Unless something changed that I didn't hear about Tasco went out of business a little while ago so they aren't supporting anything anymore. Another company (Nikon?) bought out Tasco's remaining inventory and designs.

-ld

I find the field of view much bigger, the dot is brighter and more defined, and the sight is a more reliable piece. I currently use the new Aimpoint CompC in 7moa and love it. I had an old CompXD that burned out a module, but other than that, it was a good piece. I have also used Tasco's and had a PDP3 on my racegun for about 10 years. Looking thru both scopes, the Tasco is like looking thru a straw compared to the Aimpoint, I know this is an extreme exaggeration, but you can really see the difference.

I loved all of the Tascos (PDP2, 3 & 4) that I shot in years past until they tood a dump on me (always at a major match ~ twice @ nationals). Tasco always replaced them quickly but the only one that I would trust is a PDP2. That along with the support that Aimpoint shows our sport would lead me to choose an Aimpoint comp given these choices.

Aimpoint will be a better choice, because the tube actually looks thinner than the Tasco's due to the conical design of the Aimpoint. I personally own 2 Tasco PDP3 and 2 Propoints. One PDP3 had it's intensity adjustment broke due to improper use of turning it off, and my dot went intermittent during matches. Tasco fixed it for $20 and shipping cost. So far it's been holding up, when I finally took it off my open gun I could not believe how many dings it had on the bottom portion of the tube from all the ejected brass hitting it. It still works and so does the other Propoints I have in my inventory. josh

IMHO its like a driving a chevy or driving a ferrari. Your chevy (tasco) will get you back and forth to work and wont get you laughed at on dates, but a ferrari (aimpoint) will get you to work in half the time and score you more tail than a zookeeper. I shot Tasco's for a few years because I was a broke high school student and never had a major problem with them. When the battery gets close to low, change it or your will get a mysterious disappearing dot. That said, an Aimpoint is always going to have a perfectly round dot, not a slightly oblong or starburst dot. Its a tall dollar for an aimpoint, but as we all see, in this sport you tend to get what you pay for. Just my opinion though...