Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel challenge safety rule

hornetx40

I may be missing it but I can't find anywhere in the current rules where a safety is required to be used when drawing a gun from the holster. The only rule I find that mentions safeties is specifically talking about rimfires being shot from low ready. Does this mean that an external thumb safety does not have to be engaged prior to holstering a loaded weapon at the beginning of each string? Just trying to clarify.

Well, I have the 1984 match booklet and it clearly states the various ready conditions for single action revolvers, double action revolvers and auto pistols. Those same regs are in every one of the SC match booklets I have until I stopped shooting that sport in 2000.

why would you want to holster a gun with the safety off ?

the book doesn't tell you to breath but some things people just work it out or natural selection takes affect

Edited by dskd

why would you want to holster a gun with the safety off ?

the book doesn't tell you to breath but some things people just work it out or natural selection takes affect

I am just trying to clarify what is actually in writing as I am new to the sport, only 2nd year shooting steel. If you think a gun is any safer with that safety on or off then you are just fooling yourself. Many shooters use guns that don't have a thumb safety and miraculously don't shoot themselves. Please I don't need to hear smart a.. answers. Either its a requirement or it isn't. One shooter said that the safety must be engaged because the SC rules Appd A.1.1 says "Equipment requirements for the USPSA and IPSC, shall be governed by the respective rules and equipment criteria regarding firearm and holster configurations and rule interpretations." I don't agree I thought that was talking about the different types of gun categories from USPSA and IPSC ...limited, single stack....Don't misunderstand I think the safety should be engaged on a single action but I don't see where it says that. How can someone be DQ'd when no one can tell me where the rule is that says it. Steel challenge has it's own set of rules and it should be covered there not in another sports set of rules.

Edited by hornetx40

I don't know anything about steel challenge rules. I have enough rules to keep straight between uspsa and idpa. For our steel challenge shoots, our club enforces the safety rules that both of those organizations pretty much agree on, which is that the safety must be on if the hammer is cocked.

New rulebook specifies same ready condition as USPSA divisions. Hammer down or safe action trigger in production, cocked and locked for SA/1911 types.

Where do you see that? I don't see where SC actually requires the same ready condition.

If you think a gun is any safer with that safety on or off then you are just fooling yourself. Many shooters use guns that don't have a thumb safety and miraculously don't shoot themselves. Please I don't need to hear smart a.. answers.

I really don't think it was a smartass answer. And, many here have years and years of experience in these matters. It's probably not good to discount that sharing of experience as "foolish".

• 2 weeks later...

If you think a gun is any safer with that safety on or off then you are just fooling yourself. Many shooters use guns that don't have a thumb safety and miraculously don't shoot themselves.

It depends on the gun. Using a 1911/2011 with a short pull 2lb target trigger without the TS engaged, and disabled GS, would not be nearly as safe as a long pull safe action trigger when going in or out of a holster.

Mike

Edited by Croomrider

• 2 weeks later...

I received a reply From John Amidon (DNROI) USPSA. He thanked me for pointing out the oversight and they adjusted the rules. Now it is illegal to holster a gun with a thumb safety without first engaging the safety.