Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First shots from my Custom Shadow today!

kneelingatlas

I took my new custom Shadow to the range today and thoroughly enjoyed it! The SRT is just what the doctor ordered. I couldn't help myself from changing a few springs before I shot it though :devil: : I put in the CGW trigger return spring and reduced power firing pin spring, plus an 11.5# hammer spring. That dropped two pounds from the DA and a little more than a pound from the SA pull. I was really surprised that the springs I took out had some coils cut off, I didn't think that was a reliable way to tune springs?

I was a little worried about light strikes, but I shot some reloads with Wincester SPPs and some BVAC remanufactured ammo with unknown primers and didn't have a single one.

With the SRT, the trigger seemed a little close to me, although I have pretty big hands; does anyone know if the CZ 85 Combat Original has less or more reach than the 97B trigger?

My big question for the CZ shooters out there is: where to you rack the slide??? I did some unloaded table starts and I was grabbing the front serrations, but it seemed really slow. I'm really thinking about machining an LPA cut and using the TS sights because racking the rear sight is so much faster.

congrats on the new pistol!

as far as racking the slide, its about preference. I did try rear and front. Im racking it on the front now. I could do it on the rear just the same but at that time I had a limited gun that has a swenson so I have to rack in front serration.. so to make it the same flow, i did the front.

I took my new custom Shadow to the range today and thoroughly enjoyed it! The SRT is just what the doctor ordered. I couldn't help myself from changing a few springs before I shot it though :devil: : I put in the CGW trigger return spring and reduced power firing pin spring, plus an 11.5# hammer spring. That dropped two pounds from the DA and a little more than a pound from the SA pull. I was really surprised that the springs I took out had some coils cut off, I didn't think that was a reliable way to tune springs?

With the SRT, the trigger seemed a little close to me, although I have pretty big hands; does anyone know if the CZ 85 Combat Original has less or more reach than the 97B trigger?.

Just curious to why you changed out the springs if this was a "custom shadow"?

What was wrong with the original springs and do you know what # the trigger pulls from da/sa were before you changed springs?

Thanks

There was nothing 'wrong' with the springs when I got the gun, the trigger pull was just a little heavy for my taste: about 8 1/2# DA and 3 1/2# SA.

My first pistol, at 12, was an Olympic Rapid Fire pistol with a 47g trigger (that's 1.7oz), so naturally when I bought my first center fire pistol at 24 (CZ P01) I was very interested in pushing the envelope. I started shooting USPSA last year and bought a Tactical Sport which now breaks between 1#2oz and 1#10oz depending on the hammer spring.

CZC wants to set their guns up to run reliably with any type of ammo the customer feeds it, not to push the limits of failure.

Just curious to why you changed out the springs if this was a "custom shadow"?

What was wrong with the original springs and do you know what # the trigger pulls from da/sa were before you changed springs?

From what I have seen in other posts, I'm surprised he hasn't started milling and drilling yet.

Just kidding there, John, post some pics will ya. What version did you get?

With the SRT, the trigger seemed a little close to me, although I have pretty big hands; does anyone know if the CZ 85 Combat Original has less or more reach than the 97B trigger?.

CZ 85 Combat - Trigger reach double action = 3 1/8", single action = 2 7/8". Grip circumference just below trigger guard w/Hogue "finger-groove" rubber grips = approx 6 1/4"

CZ 97b Trigger reach double action = 3 1/4", single action 2 15/16". Grip circumference just below trigger guard with factory wood grips = 6 3/8".

I have fairly large, thin hands with long fingers. Although the dimensions of the two guns are fairly close, the 97b "seems" like a much bigger gun to me.

Enjoy your new CZ!

Chris

There was nothing 'wrong' with the springs when I got the gun, the trigger pull was just a little heavy for my taste: about 8 1/2# DA and 3 1/2# SA.

I'm a little shocked by the da # as 8.5# is pretty heavy. I hope mine isn't that heavy. I would like about 5-6# da and 2-3# sa trigger pull. Maybe I will email them and see what can be done. although i wont have it until november probably since there are none to be had right now.

My first pistol, at 12, was an Olympic Rapid Fire pistol with a 47g trigger (that's 1.7oz), so naturally when I bought my first center fire pistol at 24 (CZ P01) I was very interested in pushing the envelope. I started shooting USPSA last year and bought a Tactical Sport which now breaks between 1#2oz and 1#10oz depending on the hammer spring.

CZC wants to set their guns up to run reliably with any type of ammo the customer feeds it, not to push the limits of failure.

I'm a little shocked by the da # as 8.5# is pretty heavy. I hope mine isn't that heavy. I would like about 5-6# da and 2-3# sa trigger pull. Maybe I will email them and see what can be done. although i wont have it until november probably since there are none to be had right now.

Holy tripple tap....oops!

Edited by Prov1x

CZ 85 Combat - Trigger reach double action = 3 1/8", single action = 2 7/8". Grip circumference just below trigger guard w/Hogue "finger-groove" rubber grips = approx 6 1/4"

CZ 97b Trigger reach double action = 3 1/4", single action 2 15/16". Grip circumference just below trigger guard with factory wood grips = 6 3/8".

I have fairly large, thin hands with long fingers. Although the dimensions of the two guns are fairly close, the 97b "seems" like a much bigger gun to me.

Enjoy your new CZ!

Chris

So Chris, it sounds like the 97B and the Original 85 Combat triggers are the same with an over travel screw in the 85, right?

I also remember my 97B trigger being a hair narrower, can you confirm this?

From what I have seen in other posts, I'm surprised he hasn't started milling and drilling yet.

I haven't mustered the courage to try any sight cuts yet!

Just kidding there, John, post some pics will ya. What version did you get?

IMG_20130515_211410_914_zpsb4305834.jpg

My two cents: You can press the trigger with the tip of your trigger finger; the pad of your trigger finger; or pretty much any part of your trigger finger. You can put it all the way in or keep it way out. What you can't do is to touch the frame with any part of the finger. You must have a gap between the finger and the frame. Small hands or large hands, if you allow the finger to contact the frame, at a minimum you will push your shots left (for a right handed shooter.) This is exacerbated by speed/match pressure.

You say your bullet(s) are not hitting where you are aiming? That's why God invented adjustable sights.

A-G