Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL effect on Velocity

jrbet83

Thinking about going from 1.175 to 1.200 on my OAL, curious what's a typical velocity lose will be. I know there's no magic number, but trying to get a ballpark figure. Currently making 173pf with VV N320 and Bayou 180gr.

Your increasing space and decreasing pressure in the case by making them longer. You will have to up the powder charge just a little to make the same velocity. You might lose 1-2 Pf with that change.

Edited by ParaGunner

So you will get a drop in velocity and pressure with a longer oal and the same charge? Also whats an acceptable variance in oal? Im shooting for 1.125 but all my test rounds have been 1.123-1.130.

Edited by WidowsSon683

Some of the changes in OAL can at times be attributed to bullet configuration. The portion of the bullet contacting the seating die can vary slightly.

To the OP, the decrease in velocity from the changes you are mentioning will not be significant. As always, your chrono is your friend.

Anyone have trouble with OAL varying on a 550b? I am trying to seat to 1.185" and I see it vary from 1.180 to 1.190. I keep trying to get it perfect.

Make sure ever station is full when your measuring/setting up your OAL. If your setting up your OAL while just using the seating station, then once you start cranking out the rounds and using all the stations (most importantly the sizing station), the OAL will change. Your OAL should stay with a +/- .001. Unless your seating die is seating the bullet off the O-GIve and not the tip of the bullet. In that case, I'd have no idea, but deviations would go up, since handgun bullets just aren't made that precise.

Anyone have trouble with OAL varying on a 550b? I am trying to seat to 1.185" and I see it vary from 1.180 to 1.190. I keep trying to get it perfect.

Make sure ever station is full when your measuring/setting up your OAL. If your setting up your OAL while just using the seating station, then once you start cranking out the rounds and using all the stations (most importantly the sizing station), the OAL will change. Your OAL should stay with a +/- .001. Unless your seating die is seating the bullet off the O-GIve and not the tip of the bullet. In that case, I'd have no idea, but deviations would go up, since handgun bullets just aren't made that precise.

I will try this... Thanks. I am loading SWCs and had to swap the seating die around from RN.

Edited by flamatrix99