Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ballistics Program for Windows phone

Merlin Orr

Ballista is okay. The Sierra Infinity program is available, too, but it sometimes seems to come up with different results than other good-quality programs (eg, JBM). I prefer "ballistic FTE" on an iPod at the range.

• 7 months later...

Ballistic FTE uses the JBM formulas and has numerous Litz BC's and can be configured for multiple rifles, ammo, and data input. Shooter uses the Litz formulas.

Applied Ballistics has one for the Android and the Apple version is being developed.

I know people that like Strelok but I haven't tried it.

If you really like to spend the $$$, get the Kestrel with the built in Applied Ballistics program.

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably worth mentioning something that is often overlooked. I've spent quite a bit of time studying ballistic curves for my long range .308 with an eye to determining just how much change there is in the drop over the course of a day. And it's a lot less than I would have ever expected.

Of course, this is going to vary depending on the rifle, caliber, ammo, distances, and targets. But earlier this year I spent 5 days in WV and went through about 300 rd shooting at distances between 100yd and 800yd. During that whole time, I was taking readings of Absolute Pressure, Temperature, and Density Altitude using a Kestrel 4000. I took readings every couple hours and logged those readings along with the drops at various distances computed two ways (using Pressure/Temp and Density Altitude).

Even though the temperatures varied between from a low of 40 to a high of 70 throughout the day, I found that there was very little change in the actual drops and windage. In most cases, only about 0.1 mils difference.

What this led me to decide is that there was no advantage to me to check my ballistics program frequently throughout the day. I could simple check it and jot down the numbers one or two times a day and be right on target.

All this is by way of saying that a lot of the stuff in ballistic programs may be overkill. A little time spent once or twice a day making some notes on an index card may well prove just as useful as dragging around an electronic device. But the only way you will know is if you take the time and do the research for yourself. And, by the way, the time spent doing all of this will really help you learn more about your own ballistics.

Your mileage may vary.

Can the folks that recommend Strelok for Windows Phones advise if it is still supported by the developer and is the MTAC CQ reticle on the list?

Thanks.

Bill

There are regular updates.

The Ballistic CQ reticle is on the list though it does not specify the MTAC. It looks just like the one in my TAC30.

Can the folks that recommend Strelok for Windows Phones advise if it is still supported by the developer and is the MTAC CQ reticle on the list?

Thanks.

Bill

There are regular updates.

The Ballistic CQ reticle is on the list though it does not specify the MTAC. It looks just like the one in my TAC30.

Thanks. Someone indicated the Strelok for Windows Phones was no longer supported and I was concerned that it would not have any reticles I wanted to use.

Bill