Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTF issues with CZ and 9mm lead

shane8168

Not sure if some of you remember a while back I reported a sudden FTF issue with my CZ Shadow. It was recommended that I go to a U die and thanks to Dave C. I got a U die and it solved most of my issues.

I've taken to barrel testing each load before I go to my local matches just because I don't really trust it anymore and have found that maybe three out of every 150 or so still don't plunk like they should.

The U die has definitely made my loads better as I'm getting better neck tension and that "Coke Bottle" effect on my loads now. Since I plunk test my bullets, I have 0 issues while shooting.

But the 3/150 issue still bothers me... Should be 0/150 as far as I'm concerned.

I pulled some of those offending bullets (Lead round Nose) and measured them to find that they are indeed 0.357" as I suspected, but when I measured the outside of the loaded bullet at the neck what I found is that some are larger that others and that is where I think they are hanging in the chamber (neck end, not base end).

My question is now... (finally) do you think that some of the bullets are tilting enough in the loading process (Hornady LnL AP press using a Hornady Bullet Feed die with hornady Seat/crimp die to finish - no crimp) I try to hold the bullet upright when feeding into the final die but am sure (as the manufacturer of my bullets warned me about) that they are tilting a little when I let go and the seating die gets ahold of it.

What do you think?

If that is the cause of my 3/150 problem, what is the solution. I seem to remember that manufacturer mentioning a different type of seating die that is more suited to LRN bullets...

I am thinking of Bayou Bullets in the future, will I experience the same issues with these?

Thanks ahead of time!

Measure the bad rounds at various points to see where the bulge is. Usually its towards the bottom or the bottom of the case has start ended to get oblong. (Open shooters making major with 9mm)

There are a couple of things to check here. First is to make sure that the OAL is not a problem and that the bullet nose is not prematurely engaging the rifling and preventing the round from going all the way into the chamber.

The bullets might be going in the case at a slightly wonky angle, causing a minor bulge that is the cause of your problem. This is not unusual. A slightly tight chamber, which some barrels have, adds to this problem. You might benefit from a Lee Factory Crimp Die. This sizes down the loaded cartridge to dimensions that should (in theory) fit in all 9mm chambers.

Also, 9mm brass thickness varies, and that might account for the differences you're seeing in the neck diameters.

Depending on the profile of the bullet, you may have to go shorter. I found some of the rounder profile bullets require a oal as short as 1.08 to chamber properly.

Depending on the profile of the bullet, you may have to go shorter. I found some of the rounder profile bullets require a oal as short as 1.08 to chamber properly.

This. I'm not sure who's bullets you're using, but if they are the same profile as the Missouri Bullets 124/5 LRN, it will have to be very short to not contact the rifling. Potentially shorter than the 1.08 Yoshi listed.

I wouldnt worry about the .357 diameter, it's more likely the Ogive/OAL combined with the short throated CZ that's causing you issues.

Send your barrel to Matt Cheely and have it throated. Sent my SPO1 FPB barrel up and it'll take 147gr flat point at 1.135" OAL now so that will eliminate the OAL prob all together. I sent mine on a Monday has it back on Saturday afternoon at first of month.

Send your barrel to Matt Cheely and have it throated. Sent my SPO1 FPB barrel up and it'll take 147gr flat point at 1.135" OAL now so that will eliminate the OAL prob all together. I sent mine on a Monday has it back on Saturday afternoon at first of month.

Throated my barrel as well, runs the 147 Montana CMJ and BBI Flat points at 1.135 like you say.. still have to run the 124LRN's below 1.10

Throated my barrel as well, runs the 147 Montana CMJ and BBI Flat points at 1.135 like you say.. still have to run the 124LRN's below 1.10

Wow really?! I can drop a 125 Valiant At 1.125" but it's pointy not a full round nose. I have some 147gr Xtreme RDN ill tinker with and see

Mine shoots lights out with a good bullet, even after throating. The 124 LRN Ogive I had was very far forward. I had to run it at 1.10 for my 1911, much less for the CZ. The truncated cone is much more forgiving on OAL.

I think the op issue is with the profile of the bullet and too long of a oal.

I have a U die and FCD but still had issues when loading round nose lead/moly bullets out to 1.11. Shortening it to 1.09 - 1.10 alleviated some of the feed issues but it wasn't until I loaded it to 1.08 did the feed problems go away

My issue with the OAL is that it is only happening with 3 out 150 rounds... These pretty consistent at the 1.127" mark and most plunk no problem.

It seems that if this is the issue, then I would be having a LOT more issues with this than 3/150.

Yoshi, glad you said that... As you were typing that I was out in the garage measuring.

Hornady JHP, 1.074 - won't plunk

0,357" LRN, 1.123 - won't plunk

0.357" LRN, 1.127 - plunks just fine.

I'm seeing a small bulge on some of the reject pile at the base of the bullet. I still think that the bulge is from a crooked bullet in the case...

Yoshi, glad you said that... As you were typing that I was out in the garage measuring.

Hornady JHP, 1.074 - won't plunk

0,357" LRN, 1.123 - won't plunk

0.357" LRN, 1.127 - plunks just fine.

I'm seeing a small bulge on some of the reject pile at the base of the bullet. I still think that the bulge is from a crooked bullet in the case...

Ogive's can vary slightly from one bullet to the next because not every mold hole is IDENTICAL to its siblings. So going just by OAL, especially where there is just a few thousandths difference might not tell you everything you need to know.

It is up to you to determine WHERE the problem is.

One test for OAL issues is to see if the round will rotate (spin) in the chamber after it has failed to seat properly. Then look for rubbing on the bullet nose.

If the cartridge is out of round you might be able to feel that it won't wiggle when it fails to seat properly.

Edited by superdude