Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crowning a Barrel in Production

beltjones

Can you crown a barrel for Production? For the sake of the discussion, let's say the length of the barrel has not been changed, and it is within 0.1" of the OEM barrel.

Based on a strict reading of Appendix D4, 21.1 and Appendix D4, 21.3, I would say no.

A crowned barrel seems like an external modification, and it wouldn't have the same contour as the OEM barrel.

However, most aftermarket barrels I've seen have different crowns than OEM. I've personally handled Glock barrels from KKM, Storm Lake, and Lone Wolf and all had a slightly different crown from OEM. Isn't that a different contour?

And what about the fit of many aftermarket barrels? If the barrel hood needs to be cut back to make the barrel fit, isn't that also an external modification? If even a KKM drop-in barrel has a tighter lock-up than OEM, isn't that evidence that the barrel isn't the same contour as OEM?

On the one hand it seems like you couldn't crown a barrel for Production division, but the reasons that you couldn't crown one should also render illegal many popular aftermarket barrels.

What's the real answer?

P.S. I emailed John Amidon about this issue and his answer was interesting, but not particularly helpful. I'll post what he wrote a little later.

I suppose one would have to go back to what the BOD meant by "contour." If they meant you couldn't swap to a bull barrel or add a barrel sleeve then I would think re-crowning a barrel might be ok. But if they meant the barrels have to be exactly the same (with an obvious exception for unavoidable manufacturing tolerances) then I would say a crowned barrel is prohibited. However, it's also true that trying to read into the "intent" of the rule is problematic at best.

I suppose one could say that taking a tool to a barrel is prohibited, but then many aftermarket "gunsmith fit" barrels would be illegal. Also, if an aftermarket barrel has a different crown than OEM it's not like they mined the metal out of the dirt and it was in that shape. The manufacturer had to use a tool to create that crown, so why would it matter if a non-OEM manufacturer does the crowning job or a gunsmith?

barrel fit is not an issue that I would see a problem and really wouldn't think a barrel crown would be an issue. as I just am getting my RO cert I remember reading that accuracy improvements can be made and if the gun was to have a messed up barrel and needed to be replaced then it may require some fitting as well. I really do not think barrel crown or fitting should be an issue and I am deff not an answer that is for sure as I would like to know myself for when working matches. I personally think that not being able to use the lone wolf slide for production is stupid too just because of a few slide serrations and a few contour cuts. I had to wait for a slide from TDS to come in from back order so I could run my 17 again in production. it is the exact profile of the factory blocky style slide which is supposed to be in accordance to the rule acceptable.

I think that as long as a gun is used in production and is not single action only and starts with hammer down on a DA/SA action or is striker fired and doesn't have slide lightening (not just serrations or rounded edges or bull noses) then I think it should be legal in my opinion. I also disagree with no stippling/grip tape under the trigger guard.

After several emails he sent this:

"I have already taken it to the rules committee for review, in the meantime, if the barrel doesn’t have ports in it , nor a bull barrel and the same length and caliber as the original OEM barrel, it is good to go."

I think it might come down to recrowning vs adding a crown. Recrowning a barrel due to damage should be OK while maintaining the length. I guess I can see where someone could consider adding a crown to be making an externally visible change. But if aftermarket barrels are allowed and the presence or absence of a crown was never a deciding factor as to whether a barrel could be used, I don't see a problem with having it done.

Don't forget Appendix D4, line 22

Please note that the absence of an item in the list of prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to mean a modification is allowed. A modification is only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation which specifically declares that it is allowed in the Division.

Look at any barrel-maker's website and you'll see that the contour of a barrel refers to the profile of the OD; contour has nothing to do with the inside. The rules say that the new barrel must match the contour, caliber and length, so I think you would be OK to re-crown the barrel, just like you could use a barrel with a different twist rate or # of grooves.