Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for feedback on 2011 grips

I had a Roupe painted grip and it was pretty to look at but kind of slipery. I ended up putting some of the rubber grip tape on the front strap to get a more secure grip coming out of the holster. I switched to a Brazos ultra grip, which for some reason I thought had rubber grip in the front strap area but it doesn't. It is VERY aggresive and I have had to take a file to some areas that were very sharp. I like the look af a painted grip but I am thinking they will all be somewhat slick. I am thinking about the painted grips from Advanced Performance Shooting. Can you guys give me some real world experience with their grips or any others that you have used.

I have tried all types of grips. factory, stippled, undercut, double undercut, grip tape, you name it. What I use now and like the best is the factory sti grip with pro grip lotion.

Some have been to sharp or grip the hand to good so you cant adjust on a bad draw. I like to hold the gun not the gun hold on to me.

I stippled my grip and painted it. It feels like a plain stippled STI grip. I left the stippling more agressive than I would have had I not been painting it. After it was painted the stippling was perfect for a very secure grip without eating your hand up. Will send you pics if you would like just send me an email and I will attach and return.

I tried an Advanced Performance grip, (like in Paul's picture), but it never really felt secure to me. I ended up breaking it anyway when I slipped and fell with the gun still locked in the holster. Broke the trigger guard off.

MySTI2.JPG

Right now I have a grip that has been reduced and has skateboard tape. I think I like that the best. Not a "purdy" as an AP grip with a splatter Van-Halen Frankenstrat paint job, but it feels more secure to me.

Edited by Parallax3D

I have bought 4 grips from APS, 2 within the last 6 weeks. I personally like a real grippy & aggressive surface so I bought both his SRT 2 grip & his stippled grip with a medium surface. I'm loving both of them - the SRT 2 grip has a silicone carbide surface similar to a Limcat grip. If you don't want your hands to slip either one of these will serve your purpose. I also bought one of Jim's painted grip but it did not have near the grip that his non-painted grips have.

Edited by hvsmith

Some of the issues/concerns listed above are why we have always tried to talk directly to our grip customers. We wanted to get a feel for what someone was actually looking for and what they needed in a grip. We didn't start out with the painted version, we started our to produce the best grip surface on the market and to make sure it did what we want it to do and 15 years later we are still improving on that original idea. There are several companies who have copied our work over the years, didn't understand what they were doing and they folded up and went away (one even copied our website and called it his own)

Others tried to set themselves apart (after copying our work) by doing more extreme paint patterns, and that is okay.... afterall imitation is the greatest form of flattery. What none of them are doing, is the research and developement based around what makes a better grip surface. When the Navy asked for a solution to skate board tape sliding around and coming loose.... we spent 2 years building the SOCD grip and warranty if for life! We have have customers that we have to work the textured surface around scar tissue and others where we have to be able to grip despite missing digits.

We aren't about the paint job! We are about the grip, and what we know it can do to improve ones shooting. If you want a pretty grip we can recommend several companies... if you want a custom grip to meet your demands we can help. If you want to buy a copy of our work with no understanding of what went into it.... we can send you to several places..... if you want to get a grip that will help make you a better shooter, one you can stake your life on.... one that won't fail you downrange, in the mud, saltwater, blood or worse, then we can help you.