Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice for "the new guy" from a new guy

DoxaPar

So today I shot my first 3-gun match and wanted to share some info that I think (hope) would be useful for other shooters who are interested in 3-gun but don't have experience with competitive shooting.

These things just happen to be things that I wish someone else had said to me before I showed up.

First, chill on the gear. But if you're gonna invest some money up front (or borrow something) make it a good shotgun. From what I saw today the belts, holsters, handguns and rifles didn't make a huge difference for 80% of the competiors. What DID make a huge difference for some people were shotguns. Pumps were dramatically behind sem-autos and pumps holding 2-4 shells were dramatically behind everyone. While a fast weak hand load is awesome it appeared to me that a good semi-auto shotgun with a good extension tube really made a big difference for folks.

Secondly, invest most of your time into properly and safely handling your firearms. Most folks getting into 3-gun probably have already invested time into shooting (while maybe a different type of shooting) but have never practiced manipulating their firearms in the manner that you will in a 3-gun match. Some of the rules are pretty particular, starting setups having unique requirements, gun abandonment, etc. These are the things that most people who've been around firearms don't really pratice in quick motions while paying particular attention to some specific 3-gun rules. If you've got limited time to prepare, spend it handing, loading, abandoning and unloading your guns. Looking back, I wish I would have done more of this.

Thirdly, learn the rules and practice them. This one in particular is of pretty significant consequence for me today. I had previously read online that moving your left hand across your body and placing it on your right side waist while holstering / reholstering was effective for some people. So that's what I practiced and practiced and practiced. As a result it became muscle memory for me. However, I practiced something that would result in my disqualification for me. While the rule was mentioned to me that you cannot sweep your handgun in front of your other hand while rehosltering my muscle memory won out today and I was DQ for the infraction. Prior to the start of my stage I loaded and rehosltered my handgun and sweep it past my left hand (which was on my waist). BAM! Muscle memory won and I was left to reset stages, cheer on my squad and rehash the mistake in my head.

Fourthly, ask a ton of questions and find someone to train you if you can. This is something I did right. As I watched shooters I spoke with the ones that did well and ask them why they approached the stages the way they did and why they made the choices they did. This turned out to be well-worth my time spent at the range today. Most everyone was extremely helpful and willing to teach me as much as I was willing. In particular, a few guys sporting JP Rifles gear were great. Big hats off to them.

Fifthy, just get out and try. Will you mess up? Maybe. Will you win? Probably not. But today I learned more than ever that the best teacher is experience. I passed on other matches trying to get the courage up to sign-up. I didn't learn anything from those two matches. But today, I learned a lot and will be better equipped for the next one. So if you've been hesitating; go for it.

I had previously read online that moving your left hand across your body and placing it on your right side waist while holstering / reholstering was effective for some people. So that's what I practiced and practiced and practiced. As a result it became muscle memory for me. However, I practiced something that would result in my disqualification for me. While the rule was mentioned to me that you cannot sweep your handgun in front of your other hand while rehosltering my muscle memory won out today and I was DQ for the infraction.

I've never heard of that move.. what is the benefit of moving your right hand to your waist?

I've never heard of that move.. what is the benefit of moving your right hand to your waist?

Apparently none, with lots of bad results. I can't recall the actual thread here that discussed it (maybe I simply misread it). Ah, the joys of the "interwebz" in place of actual experience.

Doxapar,

Sorry to hear about the DQ, I hadn't heard about it before seeing this.

It was great to see all of the shooters, expecially the new shooters, show up for the match. I wish it hadn't lasted quite as long as it did but that is how it goes.

Hope to see you at the next 3-gun.

Edited by Brian Payne

I was taught to put my weak hand on my belly while my strong hand grabs and lifts the gun from the holster. The weak hand then joins the strong hand on the gun after it is pointed down range. Thus keeping you from sweeping yourself.

Now, if you take the word belly out and replace it with waist, add a bunch of stuff about left hand, right hand mix in a little new guy confusion, and you have someone putting their hand in the wrong spot and a DQ.

Doxa, you now have some real world experience, fortunately you learned that lesson without great harm. Learn from it and move on. Some of the other stuff you wrote about, will help any new 3 gunner, thank you.

George

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
First, chill on the gear. ... Fifthy, just get out and try.

Thank you for coming out to play. Because you had such a good time, I know that you'll come out again soon.

Seriously, just getting out to the match, is both the easiest, and at the same time, the hardest thing for folks to do. The reasons can range from scheduling to self-doubt in your abilities. But once you do it the first time, you realize how simple the basic concept actually is (just shoot, and shoot safely!).

Thirdly, learn the rules and practice them. ... While the rule was mentioned to me that you cannot sweep your handgun in front of your other hand while rehosltering my muscle memory won out today and I was DQ for the infraction. Prior to the start of my stage I loaded and rehosltered my handgun and sweep it past my left hand (which was on my waist). BAM! Muscle memory won and I was left to reset stages, cheer on my squad and rehash the mistake in my head.

Nobody got hurt (beyond a little bit of pride); just chalk it up as a learning experience and we'll see you at the next match.

As you've discovered, learning one-on-one, or in small groups is best. The interwebs can definitely provide new insights, but I would analyze and question vigourously before incorporating something seen in some forum into my own practice. As A New Guy (in a lot of different things), I would take stuff seen on the internet with a grain of salt (particularly if the practice is not echoed by multiple competent sources).

I question the premise or logic behind placing the left (support) hand on the right waist. When drawing from a pistol holster on the firing side (right) hip, from concealment, the support (left) hand crosses the front of the body to assist in removing and clearing the concealment garment. And it does the same on re-holstering. But when doing this, the support hand is usually above the waist (usually touching the pectoral or armpit), not at the waist (where you might cover yourself as you reholster).

When drawing from the unconcealed holster, the left (support) hand is usually in contact with one's belt buckle (or belly, or sternum). This helps to prevent having the support hand out in front of the torso, and having the support hand inadvertently covered by the muzzle as the pistol is drawn and presented to the firing position.

Some video that demonstrates what the support hand does while drawing/holstering from concealment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSFA8b2mCQo

Usually, I try to keep the support hand at the belt buckle and then sort of have the two hands meet at about where I'd clap my hands. It works well enough for me, but I definitely know what you mean about the gear thing. I shot my first USPSA match and people there were shooting every gun imaginable. Yeah there were SVI's and 2011's, but there were also a lot of production shooters with XD's and there was a GM there with a Beretta 92. More than a couple shooters were using Glocks, M&P's, and there were a couple shooters using Sigs...heck I even saw a guy using an HK P30 LEM. Most of them weren't bad shooters at all. It had more to do with experience than anything else. Heck the only reason I run a G34 is because I got it for a really good deal :)

• 4 weeks later...

The shotgun and extension tube is a very important point...but so is learning how to load it.

Beyond that, where I see most new shooters spend a lot of time is on the rifle (even some good shooters as well). Be prepared to shoot your rifle out to 300y at targets around 8-12" big. If you can do that consistently from a match-type shooting position, you should be ok.

The only other thing I would add is that if you think you're gonna be serious about three gun, buy the good gear and the good guns from the start....Why? Because you're gonna end up with it someday anyways. I recall within my first few matches, my shooting buddy/mentor told me to just go out and buy an M2...I thought he was crazy because M2s were $1500+. And where did I end up? With an M2 (but not after buying a 590, and then a 930, and then the M2)

Buying an upgrading gear is par for the course for dedicated three gunners, but if you can jump some steps you may be better off.

Edited by Onagoth