Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

broke the .6 limited gun draw barrier

Loves2Shoot

Went shooting with the new girlfriend to see if she could shoot my open gun (114 lbs and small hands, good news is she can if she gets used to the mondo blast :) ) and I did some 3 meter draws. The first 5 were in the .65 .69 range, just grip and rip, all C's, then I stopped and said to myself take your dang advice and shoot when you see green (fiber optic color of my preference) in the center of the A zone. I focused on the A zone and proceded to crank a dead center a zone in .52 and then with my new sense of focus 3 more draws cranked 3 more A's. Stepped back to 10 yards and shooting a .85-.9 Alpha felt like I was taking all day.

Vision is where it's at. Crank it up and self imposed limits fly away. OK now to crank that first .49 draw LOL :)

Went shooting with the new girlfriend...

Aha! "Trick-of-the-day" thing because of something new. :lol::P

Seriously, dude, those are awsome draws! During that time, my mind is still processing wether I'm hearing the timer's beep or just my tense heartbeat. :lol:

What starting position?  Hand on gun?  Relaxed at sides?

Either way, WOW!

Joel

A normal draw hands truely relaxed at sides, all the other gimicks seems to eat up time because you have to think about them. I've found it much simpler just to stand there and focus on the target and listening for the beep.

I think having my GF there did help as it amped up my awareness, and having her run the timer (a truley random start :)) made it feel more like a match start.

THE KEY FOR ME

It all about reacting to what you see. My fasest draws used (3 yards) used to be in the .77's not even hitting anything, just grip and rip. But by learning to relax and fous on seeing at that speed now I can draw with less hesistation and get a really great sight picture much faster than I would have thought possible. Just gripping and ripping is a waste of time if you aren't focused on seeing at that speed IMO.

It not about the time, but the experience.

That's smokin. Do you know what your audible reaction time is? Mine is around .20 to .25 so I don't think I'll ever see a sub .50 draw. But I did have a 1.06 in a match Saturday which is about as fast as I’ve ever done one.

I don't know. How do you figure that out?

Jon:

My reaction time runs the same as yours .20-.25. My best times are in the low to mid .80's and that's good enough for me. Even with my sloth like 1.10-1.20 match draw, I have no problems with speed shoots, classifiers, and standards. For now, I have no designs on a sub .80 draw, if it happens it happens.

L2S:

Man that's a smoking draw. I am not convinced vision is the main ingerient though. I can see real fast, but I don't react that fast and I am a bit slow getting the gun in front of my face. I'll never say die, and always keep working on the draw. My goal is to break .90 on a regular basis. I'll get there if old age doesn't get in the way, lol.

Last night I did some draws. After several warm-ups starting at 1.2sec I was struggling by the time the timer was set at 0.8sec.

And then it happend. One EUREKA moment! I heard the beep, felt the draw, saw the sights, then the hammer fell...then the end BEEP. Unfortunately, a fleeting moment I could no longer replicate. But I'd like to think it was (or close) to 0.6. :P

Will try again tonight (hmmm... there's that try word again.) <_<

I am not convinced vision is the main ingerient though. I can see real fast, but I don't react that fast and I am a bit slow getting the gun in front of my face. I'll never say die, and always keep working on the draw. My goal is to break .90 on a regular basis. I'll get there if old age doesn't get in the way, lol.

Not the main ingrediant, but maybe the last one for me :) There is a point you just can't do it any faster (isn't there?) :)

Funny thing is my main goal is to stay at .95 with A zone hits at 15 yards everytime. I just figure the quicker you get your gun stopped in front of your face the more time you have for the aiming part :)

That's why the seeing is the most important ingreidient for me to work on :)