Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recipe for Clays, Precision Delta 230 FMJ RN - 1911

dforeid

Folks,

I have a Sig 1911 and am setting up my Dillon RL550B for my first time reloading. I need a recipe that feeds well in the 1911s and seem to be hung up on the OAL. The Hodgdons website really doesn't seem to be too clear on 230 FMJ RN, but they are recommending an OAL of 1.20 which seems short to me. I am planning to make a batch tonite, so I'd love to get some good feedback on your load suggestions and OAL for my 1911. Here are my products:

Hodgdons Clays

Precision Delta 230 grn. FMJ RN

New Starline brass

Federal match primers

Your COL is usually 1.250 -1.265. I make mine as long as will fit in the chamber with dropping them in the barrel while it is out of the gun, Some call it the "Plunk" test. I also make sure a loaded round will eject out of the gun with out hitting or hanging up on the slide "ejection Port". My SIG STX needs them at 1.250 to do this. The gun will fire 1.265 but won't come cleaning out of the gun when your showing clear at the end of the stage. i.e. pulling the slide back slowly to catch the round or at least have it in the vaciniity.

Biggest thing is to make sure in drops easily into the chamber and fits in the magazine. Load the whole mag and hand cycle them through the pistol. Obviously pointed in a safe direction or with the firing pin removed.

Make small batches at first so you don't waste components. Especially with current supply conditions.

Shoot straight

Folks,

I have a Sig 1911 and am setting up my Dillon RL550B for my first time reloading. I need a recipe that feeds well in the 1911s and seem to be hung up on the OAL. The Hodgdons website really doesn't seem to be too clear on 230 FMJ RN, but they are recommending an OAL of 1.20 which seems short to me. I am planning to make a batch tonite, so I'd love to get some good feedback on your load suggestions and OAL for my 1911. Here are my products:

That's not a recommended OAL. That's the minimum OAL for that load data. i.e. going shorter is not recommended. Going longer is ok, but may result in lower than advertised velocity due to increased case volume / lower pressure.

Hodgdons Clays

Precision Delta 230 grn. FMJ RN

New Starline brass

Federal match primers

If you're trying to make power factor, may as well start with 4gr. If PF doesn't matter, start at 3.7 and see if you need more for reliable function. To make PF, some people need >4gr, which is beyond what Hodgdon says is max.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...