Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer price spike

rutilate

I've been carefully following primer availability and prices on a couple of sites and just noticed a massive price spike on primers. Federals are now up to $47.99 at Cabela's, and CCI is up to $35.12 at Natchez.

Anyone else seeing this?

I would be surprised if Cabela's and Natchez are price gouging.

Powder Valley is expecting more Tula primers shortly but haven't had Federal/CCI in for a while. My suspicion is that their prices don't yet reflect new distributor pricing (and why should they, as they are no longer taking backorders)?

My suspicion is that their prices don't yet reflect new distributor pricing...

There is a persistent rumor floating around that claims that ATK is going to be reviewing their MSRP's. If this is true, I would imagine that we will be seeing a 5% to 10% increase which would put Federal primers in the mid $30 range.

My wife works for ATK and they have an employee purchasing program. You would think this would make it easy for me to get my primers (Fed or CCI), but alas, they are not even filling their employee orders in the last couple ordering periods... So, I too am looking to find them anywhere that I can find them and paying a bit of a premium at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Raising prices is the correct thing to do in a shortage and I wish more vendors would do so. Rationing by price is more efficient than rationing by waiting (months of backorder) or by luck (buy the instant things come back in stock).

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up 2K CCI #250 Large Rifle Magnum & 2K Remington 6 & 1/2 Small Rifle for $37.99/1000 at my local Sportsman's Warehouse in Southaven, MS this past Monday. I also got two lbs of H380 ($27 each) and two 100 count boxes of Sierra .308 175 grain SMK's ($37 each) at the same time. Primers were $32.99/1000 last November when I saw them last, so although it was an increase it didn't seem that bad. Midway currently lists the CCI's at $33.99/1000 and the Remington's at $38.99/1000, of course they're out of stock, but I didn't have to pay hazmat or shipping either.

The powder and bullets both went up about $5 each, but in February I got six 20 round boxes of .308 168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match ammo for $22.99 each there, that was ridiculously low as far as I'm concerned.