Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PaulW's Uber Cool Thumbrest

Little Bill

Hey Paul whatsup with the Thumbrest?

I was thinking about starting a new, more recent thread about Pros/Cons of the T-rest. I basically started shooting Open with a T-rest (about 1yr ago) and Travis Tomasie / Max Michel (two very cool dudes) both recommended I dump it. I am just now coming back from injury, and my thumb is still lonely while shooting. I *think* my dot track is now more vertical, 12 to 6 o'clock, versus 1 to 7 or 2 to 8. The gun *seems* to jump a bit more, but my lay off seems to have dulled my memory.

It could also be a self-fulfilling prophecy..... :D

Hey Paul whatsup with the Thumbrest?

I was thinking about starting a new, more recent thread about Pros/Cons of the T-rest. I basically started shooting Open with a T-rest (about 1yr ago) and Travis Tomasie / Max Michel (two very cool dudes) both recommended I dump it. I am just now coming back from injury, and my thumb is still lonely while shooting. I *think* my dot track is now more vertical, 12 to 6 o'clock, versus 1 to 7 or 2 to 8. The gun *seems* to jump a bit more, but my lay off seems to have dulled my memory.

It could also be a self-fulfilling prophecy..... :D

I noticed that Saul Kirsh uses one as well.

.....and you can't forget the little Frenchman that seems to shoot pretty well with one.....

I am not against the thumbrest, I currently find myself wanting to put it back on the gun because it feels *normal*.

The reason I chimed in on Paul was that I don't think that he had one on the Super he used to shoot, so I was interested in his take on it.

Maybe I should ask a moderator to split the thread so we don't hijack Paul's thread on his cool new blaster?

In a matter of 15 minutes handling the gun and then taking the rest off the gun felt strange without it. The reason I'm trying it is pretty simple. Since I started shooting open 98' I have always fought too much side ways pressure with my left thumb. I would steer the gun too much. I did work on it but it seems to creep back in. With the thumbrest I find that the pressure is now more downwards instead if sideways. We'll see what happens under pressure, but I like the way it feels. Do what you feel is right. If Max does not lik eit but Eric G. does then who's right? Both are.

Well, yesterday I shot my first match since Area 3, and my first match without a t-rest. When the buzzer sounds, I didn't really notice. I remember telling myself during the 1st stage's LAMR, to add some weakhand grip pressure, and keep the thumb off the dustcover/mount. Once I got started, I only remember the dot, and the targets.

I shot three stages well, and had some ammo trouble on one stage that really hurt my score. I think I may have won HOA Open or at least 2nd, with one GM, one M, one A, and gaggle of Bs at the match.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to leave you hangin. The gun is awesome. Shoots great. Shoot a match Sunday and I shot like a broke d1ck dog, but the gun was easy to shoot. I had on hiccup on a stage, a double feed??? Still getting all the mags and such setup, and the gun is super tight. This weekend I'm just gonna pratice and shoot some rounds through her. Zero'd at 20 yrds and it was all one ragid hole, very sweet. The true Blue is dirtier than I was hopping. Not as bad as an hs6, but not that far behind either. So I'll play with some other loads. The gun is quick. Since I've been out of shooting for about 5 months it's gonna take a little while to get my legs back. I was wacking the trigger pretty good.....argh!! The thumb rest just gave me something else to think about. I was worried that if I did not hit my draw just right I would miss the thumb rest. So it's off. I also found that I wanted to push so hard down on the thumb rest that the gun was moving all over the place, that may have just been me as well. I love this gun. Just want to find "the load" she likes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I have used a thumb rest a lot, but I never seem to stick with it. I think there are no differences in performance. In fact the only difference is the gun feels different! Some times we make the gun feel different and we like it, but this means nothing. If you really want to know that you just made a differences. You will need a lot of time. You will need to compare your self on different recorded drills. You might also want to shoot a local match to see how it reacts under that stress. At the end of the day if the timer tells you that you are faster than you just made a difference. I am ANTI thumb rest! The only way Eric (THE MAN) Grauffel gets away with it. Is that his grip is completely different. Remember his weak hand pointer finger is around the trigger guard, which allows him to put more pressure down towards the middle of the gun. This makes the gun more neutral with the grip and the thumb rest. It creates a lot more down force also! I will be playing around with this in the future. Until next time guys take care.

DvC,

Chris T.

• 1 month later...

Because of what I read here (and Saul Kirsch's recommendation), I decided to waste more money and try a thumb rest. Since I'm left-handed my only choice was the Rescomp. But, the Rescomp is designed to fit on a double-sided mount with a 3-hole C-More pattern. I had a double sided Weigand mount which I cut down to a single side. Anyway, I used the discarded side to make a plate and then drilled and tapped both into the frame. Like most of the stuff on my gun it ain't pretty but it works.

Having small hands and a short index finger makes a solid grip a problem on a double-stack, even with grip modifications. If the gun sits in the web of my hand my trigger finger touches the frame (using the shortest trigger possible) if I use the middle pad of my finger. Anyway, my shots have tended to drift right in transitions and longer strings of fire. My grip also felt uneven.

My verdict: I was initally concerned that I'd use it as a lever to push my second shot lower. It didn't happen. The thumb rest has helped make my grip feel firmer and more stable. Even when the gun is not exactly in the web of my hand, the additional brace of the thumb rest provides a more solid shooting platform. My grip just feels more solid and neutral. The lateral drift is not as pronounced. I also don't have to grip as tight, which helps relax my trigger finger. In short, I think it's helped a LOT.

OTOH, I can see why some people hate them since they're just aother gadget to get in the way. I guess it all boils down to individual physiology.