Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuck cases in M&P 9MM Pro

shopgun

I recently picked up a safe queen from a friend, He shot maybe a mag through it so it's practically new. I initially shot 15-20 rounds to check zero and shot the first multi-gun match of the season with it sunday. I had two stuck cases in approx 90 rounds. They were stuck so bad it was squib rod pounded against a wall to free them. Yes, I know I should have shot it more but I bought my wife one about 4 or 5 years ago and that one runs anything you can get in the mag. I shot that one enough to be proficient , so I thought, no problem. The load is 3.9 w231 -125 precision-mixed cases. Today I tried another load, 147 zero jhp over 4.6 gr of tru blue. 73 rounds and same stuck case results. Both of these loads have run in the first pro. The other fired cases of the tru blue load drop free of the chamber as if they had been sized. Anyone else had a similar problem?

M&P's are known for not extracting, stuck cases etc. I had one as my first Production gun and it was horrible. S&W worked on it and it got better. If I recall there was some thoughts along the line of melanite overspray getting in the chambers making them stick. Sounds like you just got lucky with your original Pro. There are companies that have made a fortune because of M&P extraction issues.

I have about 10K through my bought used FS. Just recently I began having those stage ending sticks. About 1 or 2 per 100 rounds. Upon examination I noted a ring down around where the die stops resizing. I use range brass. What I think is happening is I am picking up brass from a dude at our club that shoots 9mm at Super speeds. He thinks Max loading is just a suggested starting point. The over pressured round thins and stretches the brass and when it is resized it has a ring of varying size. Soooo I got an EGW 7 round gauge. Works slick. If they are really bad I can feel them during the resize stage.

Sarge, did your problems include super tight stuck cases?

Yes. Mine and others on the forums. A search should come up with page upon page of M&P extraction/stuck case issues. And if I recall most of the problems were with the Pro. The FS seemed to be fine.

Apex extractor and the extra power extractor spring from SSS. I've got 4 M&P Pro slides in .40 and have had zero issues with that setup. I imagine they would work just as well with the 9mm cases.

Who is SSS?Thanks

You need to find out the year, some parts have been updated.for the extractor I use a tiny screwdriver with a hoppes soaked cloth and pic at extractor to clean it. It gets gummed up badly.

• 1 month later...

Got it back monday with a new barrel installed and ran 150 rounds from 2 diff lots of reloads. It ran perfectly. actually, My wifes gun is one year newer and the new barrel is identical to hers. A lot more beef around the chamber.