Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling your shots is not

Right but that is hard for a newer shooter. It took me a couple of years before I could KNOW I hit the target when I pulled the trigger. In the past 1.5+ years I haven't shot that much and now find it hard to NOT look at the target to see if there were any holes in it. At one time, from a tip of a GM and a lot of practice, I would KNOW when I pulled the trigger there woud be a hole in the target in the general area I had the sightes on. He also got me in the habit of once I pulled the trigger for the second shot on paper or the first shot on steel to MOVE to the next target, don't worry about the one you just fired on. If you had the sights on the target when you pulled the trigger there will be a hole in it, there is NO need to look at it. Now if you find out there isn't a hole or the steel didn't go down then you need to practice.

Short Round, you learned something valuable there.

That's what makes it so difficult.

Somewhere on this forum there are also tips for training this skill.

Basically, it involved drawing your shots on a little card or sheet of paper after each shot, without looking at the target.

Afterwards, compare your drawing with the target.

sr - I'm going to take some liberty with the title of this thread. Please forgive me.

Calling your shots means you don't need to look for your holes

When I'm really "on" (and this has only happened in 1 maybe two matches in the last year), I didn't follow the RO as he was scoring my targets. I knew where my hits were. ;)

Right on. It's easy to spot people who see their holes; they have a little lag between the shot and leaving the target or array. It's easy to spot people who call their shots; they seem to be tripling a target when in fact they are taking a deliberate third shot because they knew the first or second was bad.

On that nasty Area 1 stage 6 I saw a hole appear in the edge of a no-shoot (covering the left target through the port). I made it up with an extra shot. We're talking a bullet diameter or two at 15 yards and I can't call em that close, even with a dot. It was only because I had a dot that my focus was downrange and I could see the hole appear. If I were shooting iron sights, my focus would have been uprange on the sight and I would have never seen the hit, even with a larger bullet hole. Then I never would have taken that extra shot I didn't need because the diameter touched the perf, and my time would have been faster, and my hit factor would have been higher. :)

When I'm really "on" (and this has only happened in 1 maybe two matches in the last year), I didn't follow the RO as he was scoring my targets.  I knew where my hits were. ;)

[drift]

Still I'd advice you to follow the RO as he is scoring.

If he gets it wrong you will not be able to protest if you're not there.

Sure, we RO's call you and wait with patching in case of a miss or a PT, nut not when scoring ABCD hits. So you could get a C which is an A just because the RO makes a mistake and you're not there. And, RO-ing more than I shoot, I know from first hand experience that even RO's make mistakes ;) . So *always" follow the RO !

[/drift]

Apart from that, you're right on with your comments !

I am notorious for looking for the holes and staring at the targets when I shoot. TonyH says that I'm "admiring my work," but he continues to remind me that it's not that pretty yet. ;)

There is a very bad feedback loop associated with looking for the holes in the targets. At some point, your focus tends to shift completely on the targets and you quit looking at your front sight even for a little while. Then the accuracy goes in the dumper and you all you see if holes appearing in the D zone or no hole at all.

When I am able to maintain my focus on the front sight and not score my targets as I go, I not only avoid the delay with looking at the target, but my accuracy is so much better that it seems like a different person is shooting.

I think that's why reactive targets are easier to shoot, because you get feedback that your shot was on the money that you can absorb on the periphery of your focus and concentration.

when i dropped to 17th place in 1 major match due to 4 mikes, i swore never to mike again. :(

so i started to search for holes. on the next match which was a major match too, i never miked and saw mostly a's and i fell to 33rd. :wacko:

After that i just trusted my sights, now im back to top 10 ;)

• 2 months later...
they seem to be tripling a target when in fact they are taking a deliberate third shot because they knew the first or second was bad

I see guys at club matches just rip off three rounds before they stop shooting, cant really say that he was making up a bad shot since all three were As.

I guess he couldnt get off the gas fast enough, im talking .12 splits, b class limited shooter :huh:

while shooting steel i noticed i can/will double tap a plate without thinking or really without it even occurring to me that i shot the steel twice before it fell. I knew when i fired that round it wasnt were it needed to be so i quickly, without thinking, fired a make-up round. 6 plates down, 7 hits 7 shots on the timer...doesnt add up :blink:

I see guys at club matches just rip off three rounds before they stop shooting, cant really say that he was making up a bad shot since all three were As.

I've been doing a lot of this lately, ending up with 3 A's. I'm having problems calling the second shot after a port/movement setup or draw, hence the recovery. It seems my focus goes towards the gun being stbailized and I loose the sight picture. Should be one of the things to work on for this year.