Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Far and Near offical distances and array setup?

I set them up exactly like your OP says

bottom target 1 foot off ground.

top target 1" above bottom target.

1 foot edge to edge separation.

It is a little ironic that a stage called "standards" doesn't have published target setup specification.

Then again, the AP1 target that I have seen at the last two IRC's was not a legal target in the rule book and was only just amended to make it legal.

What is the consensis on the boxes. 50,25,10,3 ? or 50,25,7,3 ?

Usually a fault line. Distances are 50, 25, 10 and 3 yards. Was that your question, Distances to target from fault line?

Usually a fault line. Distances are 50, 25, 10 and 3 yards. Was that your question, Distances to target from fault line?

I think that's what is being asked. At a club match it might be a box and not a fault line.

I set them up exactly like your OP says

bottom target 1 foot off ground.

top target 1" above bottom target.

1 foot edge to edge separation.

It is a little ironic that a stage called "standards" doesn't have published target setup specification.

Then again, the AP1 target that I have seen at the last two IRC's was not a legal target in the rule book and was only just amended to make it legal.

What is the consensis on the boxes. 50,25,10,3 ? or 50,25,7,3 ?

I think that's what is being asked. At a club match it might be a box and not a fault line.

My question is what the distances are to each box? Yes, I meant fault line but heck, Is it? This is straight off the club website. Looks like boxes to me. I know it has been a board, a rope, chalk, why not a box. at the 3, (7) or 10. I have shot separate clubs using different ranges. I came here looking for an official printed copy of the stage setup after silence from HQ. I wish they had at least said. "It doesn’t exist; we make it up each year". I have discovered that either no one knows where it is or it doesn’t exist. The one on the website is the same one included in the club packet. No yardage or setup measurements are included. I have shot it at both 10 yards and 7 yards. I have shot it with the top and bottom target touching, and again with them an inch apart. I emails HQ and got no response. I came on here and get more confusion. I just wanted an official layout specs for the Far and near. Didn’t think it would be such a quest. I should be called the standard with no standard :D

Edited by Ty Hamby

• 4 weeks later...

Well After months of begging and pleading, Here it is. We (the general population) now have an official ICORE Setup!

The Image_32.pdf is the official form.

The other one has a score sheet attached.

Enjoy Fellow ICORE shooters.

hrmm, kneeling at 10 yds?

This year I am going prone at 25. I didn't even know it was an option until I had seen Rich W do it.

I hadn't practiced it, so I wouldn't have attempted it last year....

Edited by seanc

Starting to get serious about the match now, some questions for the more experienced (its my first time at IRC and I only started shooting revolver in Oct), I'll be shooting a 686 SSR in classic, with Safariland Comp III's and I managed to secure some of the official ICore Remington 158gr Lead Round Nose Ammo..

1/ Round Count for Match + Classifier, I know its not officially published yet but what sort of ball park? I have 750 rds right now and I was hoping 500 would be enough for classifier + match and spares so I can use 250 in practice on top of my regular ammo.

2/ Near and Far Stds, I'm C Class USPSA and MM for IDPA, what sort of goals should I be setting ?

- I am wondering whether going prone will make much difference at 50yrds as there is not really a range round where I can practice, I can do 25 though. Should I just start facing up range and make sure I get the rounds off or try and get down knowing that I'll likely only get 3 rounds off with unknown chance of hits.

- Based on my current draw and reload times(my consistent draw is 1.5s and a good speed loader reload is around 2.5s) 3 and 10 yards look tight, if this was IDPA and no par time I would be expecting perfect hits with all shots at both distances but with the time constraint should be fun.

Thanks for any pointers.

-Euan

Starting to get serious about the match now, some questions for the more experienced (its my first time at IRC and I only started shooting revolver in Oct), I'll be shooting a 686 SSR in classic, with Safariland Comp III's and I managed to secure some of the official ICore Remington 158gr Lead Round Nose Ammo..

1/ Round Count for Match + Classifier, I know its not officially published yet but what sort of ball park? I have 750 rds right now and I was hoping 500 would be enough for classifier + match and spares so I can use 250 in practice on top of my regular ammo.

2/ Near and Far Stds, I'm C Class USPSA and MM for IDPA, what sort of goals should I be setting ?

- I am wondering whether going prone will make much difference at 50yrds as there is not really a range round where I can practice, I can do 25 though. Should I just start facing up range and make sure I get the rounds off or try and get down knowing that I'll likely only get 3 rounds off with unknown chance of hits.

- Based on my current draw and reload times(my consistent draw is 1.5s and a good speed loader reload is around 2.5s) 3 and 10 yards look tight, if this was IDPA and no par time I would be expecting perfect hits with all shots at both distances but with the time constraint should be fun.

Thanks for any pointers.

-Euan

I can't find a link, but heard from another shooter that the round count was 330? I can't confirm that though.

Classifiers are 12 to 32 rounds or so. Last year I think the 4 they did were less than 100 rounds.

Going prone at 50 is definitely worth it because you have 9 seconds. If you stand and shoot it my advice to you is dry fire it as much as you can to get a sense for how long 9 seconds is. You have plenty of time to aim, so don't rush. The thing I observe many do at 50 yards is race through them and leave 2 second or more on the table...

Going prone at 25 is a gotta go no delays choice for me. If you are used to going prone and can get down there and shoot 6 accurate shots do it. My experience is going prone costs me an extra second to get the first shot off, generally my first shot is in the 2.3 time area, and that leaves me just enough time to get 5 more shots off. If I take them standing, I get that extra second, but I am not as accurate.

At 3 and 10 yards, it is designed to pretty much require a run with only the most minor of errors and still finish in the par time.

If you can't practice what 50 yards is like on a range, you can fake it with AP-2 targets at 50 feet. An Ap-2 prints on printer paper...

Good luck!

I also "read" that is was 330, I cannot rember where though.

The goals that should govern would be at 50 to get prone, get a good sight picture, and your first shot off in 4 seconds, get a good sight picture and get your shot off in 1 second, repeat this for three more times. At 25 yards get a good sight picture and get your first shot off in 2.75 seconds, get a good sight picture and get your next shot off in 0.85 seconds. Repeat this three more times. At the 10 yard line get a good sight picture get a good cadence with your transitions and splits being equal,. After six preforme a smooth reload and repeat. I find the 3 yard line the most difficult. See you sights and be as smooth as possible. Reload smoothly and see your sight and engage the remaining three targets. these are all that you are in control of. Scores will be what they will be and you do your part you will do well. Long winded huh? later rdd

Euan, practice with a timer if available or even a stopwatch to get a sense of the time. The reload during the 10 and 3 yard strings is CRITICAL. They must be smooth or else you have to rush to crank out the rest of the rounds before the time expires.

I have a friend who shares your skillset.

Get all your 50 yard shots on the paper. No mikes here.

25 yards, hope to get everything inside B

10 yards, (cant stress enough) get your reload done. Practice this par time at home, over and over. This is a game changer.

3 yards, Again reload, reload, reload, get that reload done swiftly, you now have to switch hands and get all 6 shots off on the bottom. It is important to not drop any shots outside the A zone. get as many X hits as you can, but any hiccup on the reload or transfer will have you rushing your hits.

First time shooter, Major match I suspect a great time for you would be in the 34-40 second time with average marksman or C shooters doing it in the 60 second range. Don't beet yourself up if you do a 65-70. It is a tough one for those who have never done it. I have shot it 6 times this season for time, two for practice. I am a B ICORE shooter. My best ever is 34, with a 36 average the last 6 times.

Practice the pars with a timer, beg borrow or steal one. Concentrate on those reloads @ the 10 and 3 yard lines. Those 2 reloads carry more weight than any other reload at the match. Get them down so you can do them in your sleep.

I have a friend who shares your skillset.

Get all your 50 yard shots on the paper. No mikes here.

25 yards, hope to get everything inside B

10 yards, (cant stress enough) get your reload done. Practice this par time at home, over and over. This is a game changer.

3 yards, Again reload, reload, reload, get that reload done swiftly, you now have to switch hands and get all 6 shots off on the bottom. It is important to not drop any shots outside the A zone. get as many X hits as you can, but any hiccup on the reload or transfer will have you rushing your hits.

First time shooter, Major match I suspect a great time for you would be in the 34-40 second time with average marksman or C shooters doing it in the 60 second range. Don't beet yourself up if you do a 65-70. It is a tough one for those who have never done it. I have shot it 6 times this season for time, two for practice. I am a B ICORE shooter. My best ever is 34, with a 36 average the last 6 times.

Practice the pars with a timer, beg borrow or steal one. Concentrate on those reloads @ the 10 and 3 yard lines. Those 2 reloads carry more weight than any other reload at the match. Get them down so you can do them in your sleep.

At my first IRC I was introduced to Rich Wolfe, we were at the back of the standards pit and he said, " it's not hard really, it's just shoot 36 X's in 36 seconds".

Indeed.

Well After months of begging and pleading, Here it is. We (the general population) now have an official ICORE Setup!

The Image_32.pdf is the official form.

The other one has a score sheet attached.

Enjoy Fellow ICORE shooters.

hrmm, kneeling at 10 yds?

This year I am going prone at 25. I didn't even know it was an option until I had seen Rich W do it.

I hadn't practiced it, so I wouldn't have attempted it last year....

John B does it to. I tried it and being fat and shooting limited the angle up to the top row made it difficult to get comfortable in 3 seconds. you really feel like your chin is in the dirt and looking up to the sky. Being open helps. John in Limited is proof its a winning combination for a GM. Its just not for me. I do go prone @ 50.

Last year we had that green outdoor plastic carpet. With a 1/4 yellow poly rope for fault line. Remnants of the 2012 rope fault lines still littered that bay last month at the Regional. I suggest if going prone, you practice sliding the butt of the grip to position. At club matches, I rarely get to use the butt to go down on and slide out. My local clubs rugs are cut up crap and the butt gets caught on rips when sliding out. After watching the Grandmasters shoot it and see their grips hitting the rug first and sliding out, I started practicing. I'm practicing having the gun butt and other hand hit the carpet first, I then throw my body out to the rear and belly flop, hands sliding forward. As my head, feet, and legs get positioned, I finds tune the gun. 2.5-3 seconds is all the time you get. I don't normally put a ton of emphasis on the 50. But as my downrange score has improved it has become evident that 6 C's at the 50 (improved from M's) is no longer going to cut it. Last several attempts I am getting 15-18 x's with 15 points down. Must preform better uprange.