Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First taste of Competitive Shooting, now some questions!

mspiredm3

So this past Saturday I had my first taste of competitive shooting and I am HOOKED! So, I have some questions...

I just got a Kydex holster and mag pouch for my Phantom, which is the setup I was running. However, I want to get a setup for my Tac Sport in order to run that as well. BUTTTT, I want to get a rig setup that is as universal as possible, without any lack of performance due to that fact. I mainly want to be able to run my Phantom, Tac Sport, and possible a 2011 down the line.

Suggestions for a holster, mag holders and a belt that fits above criteria?

Also, for my Tac Sport, I currently only have 3 10rd mags. From looking at them and pictures of the 20rd mags, it appears the only thing stopping the 10 rounders from being standard capacity is a stamped dimple that prevents the follower from going down any further. Can these dimples simply be drilled out in order to allow the mags to load to full capacity? Anyone ever try this?

Here is a link with pics of the 10rd mags for reference of the dimples.

http://czcustom.com/czts9mm10rdmagazineca.aspx

Thanks!

Edited by mspiredm3

Holsters are going to be gun specific but the other gear should be universal. Look at CR Speed. Get the belt and mag pouches. The mag pouches have different inserts to fit CZ, Glock, 2011 etc..

Isn't the CR Speed WSM holster some what adjustable? From what it seems, one holster fits many different platforms? Or am I getting the wrong idea from their website?

Yes the CR Speed is adjustable for different guns so yo may be able to use it for both but it would require some reconfiguration between platforms. also I assume you would be running the phantom in production division and the CR Speed is not legal in that division.

Mike

Yes the CR Speed is adjustable for different guns so yo may be able to use it for both but it would require some reconfiguration between platforms. also I assume you would be running the phantom in production division and the CR Speed is not legal in that division.

Mike

The competition I will be doing, for now, is very lax and doesn't have many rules. However, in the future, I will probably be stepping it up to IDPA or something of the sorts, in which my Phantom wouldn't make production due to the race hammer. I think it would be running in custom or modified? Don't know if the CR Speed is ok in those divisions, but if not, I can just use my regular Kydex holster if I have to...

You can pick up just the CR speed belt ( it's 2 peices, an inner and outer that velcro together ) and the mag pouches that can be adjusted for your different magazines. But suggest holding off on the holster until you are match specific, you might be able to save some money in the process. Welcome aboard , it's a blast.

The CR Speed holster will only work in USPSA Limited, Limited 10 and Open.

No CR Sped products are legal in IDPA at the moment.

A modified Phantom and a modified Tac Sport would fall into Limited?

You can pick up just the CR speed belt ( it's 2 peices, an inner and outer that velcro together ) and the mag pouches that can be adjusted for your different magazines. But suggest holding off on the holster until you are match specific, you might be able to save some money in the process. Welcome aboard , it's a blast.

I really want to start using the Tac Sport ASAP due to it's higher mag capacity, weight, mag well, etc. What other holster's are out there for the Tac Sport that would meet the IDPA rules?

Edited by mspiredm3

I don't think you can drill out the dimples to get to full 17 round capacity in the magazines. Those 10 round mags have inverted ribs that go down the length of them that would surely effect the capacity of the mag. You might be able to drill out the dimples and get more rounds than 10 in there, but not 17 I don't think. Only Tac Sport I could find came with 10 round mags and it's on order and they're taking a long time to ship so I don't have the 10 round mags in my hands to look at. Just going by the picture. I went ahead and ordered 4 17 round mags with extended base pads to use for competition and figure I'll use the 10 round mags for practice.

I believe a Blade Tech DOH holster with the DOH portion removed is approved for IDPA. I would think you'd need to buy a different holster for each pistol unless going the CR Speed route and those aren't legal for IDPA.

For mag pouches, the CR Speed pouches are popular for USPSA and can be adjusted to fit many different mags. Not sure about those for IDPA as I don't really shoot it.

I don't think you can drill out the dimples to get to full 17 round capacity in the magazines. Those 10 round mags have inverted ribs that go down the length of them that would surely effect the capacity of the mag. You might be able to drill out the dimples and get more rounds than 10 in there, but not 17 I don't think. Only Tac Sport I could find came with 10 round mags and it's on order and they're taking a long time to ship so I don't have the 10 round mags in my hands to look at. Just going by the picture. I went ahead and ordered 4 17 round mags with extended base pads to use for competition and figure I'll use the 10 round mags for practice.

I believe a Blade Tech DOH holster with the DOH portion removed is approved for IDPA. I would think you'd need to buy a different holster for each pistol unless going the CR Speed route and those aren't legal for IDPA.

For mag pouches, the CR Speed pouches are popular for USPSA and can be adjusted to fit many different mags. Not sure about those for IDPA as I don't really shoot it.

I should have mentioned the Tac Sport is in 9mm. The ribs that go down the length of the mag are there for both the 10 round version and 20 round version. I imagine they use the same magazine for the 9mm and 40, but put in those ribs for the 9mm to take up soem "slack" or space that would normally be there when using the 9mm instead of the 40...

I'm not sure what is within the rules of IDPA, but like many of us on here, we all have different gear for the specific match we are shooting , even if we are using the same gun. So it's difficult to find a one rig set-up , that fits all situations. Maybe the best route is to get the IDPA rule book on what is legal to use in a match, and then go from there. Take your time and get the right gear for your specific match.

I think for now, I am going to get a CR Speed setup that can be used for both guns. In the event I want to run IDPA, I can use the Phantom in the Kydex holster I already have. From there I can get whatever else I need for whatever else I want to get into at the time.

Just wanted to make sure that the CR Speed holster would fit both the Phantom and Tac Sport, and it seems it would.

I should have mentioned the Tac Sport is in 9mm. The ribs that go down the length of the mag are there for both the 10 round version and 20 round version. I imagine they use the same magazine for the 9mm and 40, but put in those ribs for the 9mm to take up soem "slack" or space that would normally be there when using the 9mm instead of the 40...

Oh... So there's hope that I can drill out the dimples on my 10 round .40 S&W mags I have coming with the pistol... :D

Oh... So there's hope that I can drill out the dimples on my 10 round .40 S&W mags I have coming with the pistol... :D

Nope, ten round .40 mags have a short body and a big plastic block for a base pad, whereas ten round 9mm mags have a full length tube with a dimple which can in fact be drilled out. However you're in luck, Exile Machine sells full cap mags to shooters in restricted states disassembled into parts kits and they recently got a shipment of TS .40 mags.

I think for now, I am going to get a CR Speed setup that can be used for both guns. In the event I want to run IDPA, I can use the Phantom in the Kydex holster I already have. From there I can get whatever else I need for whatever else I want to get into at the time.

Just wanted to make sure that the CR Speed holster would fit both the Phantom and Tac Sport, and it seems it would.

Yes, I use a CR Speed WSM II for my TS and have used it on a host of other guns.

As far as competitions go, I only shoot USPSA, but I'm not aware of an IDPA division the TS fits into. Neither of the pistols you mentioned are optimal as they are; the Phantom would be a great Production if you modify it to be legal, but the TS fits into Limited and minimum caliber for Major scoring is .40, so the 9mm is handicapped.

I wouldn't worry too much about what you already have, but moving forward, I would check out the regular matches near you and be mindful of the equipment rules as you start spending more money. It sucks to pay for the same real estate twice. I have lots of guns and have bought an sold twice as many, so the conclusion I came to is when you decide you want to shoot a particular division, do some horse trading to get into the optimal gear in your favorite platform. It sounds like you're a CZ guy, so the optimal pistol in each division looks like this for USPSA:

Production - SP01 Shadow 9mm

Limited/Limited 10 - Tactical Sport .40

Open - Czechmate 9mm Major (or a converted TS, like my poor man's CM below...)

IMG_20130206_191010_048_zps342ce947.jpg

If you wanted to do something similar, your 9mm TS would make a great host.

Nope, ten round .40 mags have a short body and a big plastic block for a base pad, whereas ten round 9mm mags have a full length tube with a dimple which can in fact be drilled out. However you're in luck, Exile Machine sells full cap mags to shooters in restricted states disassembled into parts kits and they recently got a shipment of TS .40 mags.

Thanks for the referral to that site!

Anyone know the length on these? I'm guessing well over 141mm and closer to 170mm?

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/magazine-cz-75-85-9mm-25rd-2238.html

Looks like when I'm ready to get a bit more serious, I need to move into USPSA. I have other guns I can use in IDPA such as a Walther PPQ if need be or can always pick up another CZ that meets the criteria of what I want to shoot

Edited by mspiredm3

I'm not in a restricted state. I just ordered the pistol with the 10 round mags for restricted states because that's all I could find in stock. Already have the factory 17 round mags in hand.

But, thanks for clearing up that the 9mm mags can in fact be drilled out.

Anyone know the length on these? I'm guessing well over 141mm and closer to 170mm?

https://www.exilemac...-25rd-2238.html

Those are for the small frame of your Phantom and are actually a hair over 171mm. Stuart Wong posted about modifying them to fit in the 171mm gauge, but I can't find it right now.

https://www.exilemac...-25rd-2238.html

Those are for the small frame of your Phantom and are actually a hair over 171mm. Stuart Wong posted about modifying them to fit in the 171mm gauge, but I can't find it right now.

Oh, I know they are for the SP01 frame... wouldn't mind something that holds more than the 17 my MecGar's do currently. But for the place I'm shooting at now, they need to be 141mm or under... :( Can't currently find them, but are the 19rd MecGar's under 141mm?